1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH: the running frustration thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2009.

1. I'm a very frustrated reporter right now.

It wouldn't be wise for me to detail all my frustrations on here - just as it's not wise for me to express it in person - but needless to say most of it has to do with the economy in the toilet. I'm seeing the ugly side of a lot of people right now.

And yes, I'm 'happy (I) have a job.' I'm ecstatic I have a job that allows me to feed my family, but every time I hear that now (two or three times a day) it translates into 'You can't be happy at the job you're happy to have.'

Sometimes 'be happy you have a job' is perfectly understandable. Sometimes it's a total bullshit excuse for not trying or caring.

I understand I'm not the only one. That's why I started this thread. Without apologizing for still having a job, explain how the job is frustrating you.

Or not. I don't care. I just needed to vent the best I can.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Since we all seem to be out of a career, I've decided to drink.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I need a new handle.

4. I think part of my frustration is that, before now, I've never let the fear of being fired stop me from sticking up for what I think is right.

But doing that now is practically career suicide.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

My advice to (all of us) is to start drinking heavily

6. KG

KG Active Member

I feel like I have to take everything the company does to me, because if I don't, I feel like my job will be on the line. I'm almost certain they are trying to do away with my type of position (there are two others with the same title). So when I have a bad day at work, or have just a bunch of crap I have to deal with, the only response I ever hear is that I should be thankful I still have a job. I am thankful to have a job, but it doesn't mean I will always love it.

7. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

There's a lot of things going on in my shop right now that are driving me nuts and a couple of things, I just hate. Six months or so ago, I probably would have ranted and raved about it.

Now, all of a sudden, I'm concerned about hanging w/ all my friends on the unemployment line.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never given serious thought to another career before the start of this year. That really bums me out.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I stopped thinking of things in terms of a career when my paper got rid of me. It has made my life so much easier now that I think of everything as nothing more than a job. You lose a career and you are heartbroken, you lose a job and you go find another one.

10. Babs

Babs Member

Discover a new passion outside of work and you'll find it much easier to get through the days.

11. Stimulus, baby.
    Go build a bridge.

12. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

This is exceptionally solid advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted