1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAA auto insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, May 15, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Anybody got it? I've been with Progressive for at least six years and while I'm happy with their coverage, I found that I can get AAA for about $300 cheaper per six months for basically the same coverage. (That's a lost of cash for the soon-to-be-unemployed.) Haven't changed yet but I'm seriously thinking about and am wondering if there's some reason I shouldn't. Anybody ever been screwed over by them? (For the record, no tickets or anything on my record for at least 10 years.)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If you're saving that much for a six-month policy, I say go for it.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

We had them for about 20 years before changing just this year. We made the change over money. For us Triple A had always been a little more expensive but we justified it because having the house and the cars insured together was convenient. But this year, after my 19 year old daughter had a car accident 2 years ago (her fault, she hit a parked car) and a ticket this last year, they jacked the premiums way, way up. We shopped around, went with Allied and are paying less for all three cars than AAA wanted for just my daughters car. There was no wiggle room and the agent basically shrugged his shoulders when he quoted us and told us there had been debate about whether or not to renew us, and that only our long relationship with them saved us.

We had 3 auto claims over twenty years and one homeowners claim, no problem with any of that. it just got too expensive.

But if you can save the money, why not?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Have had AAA for a long time. Never had a problem with them as far as gaining satisfaction after a fender-bender.

Last year, had a minor collision with another car (dude was not looking; clearly his fault) in a parking lot. I reported it to AAA, but never had a chance to get the estimate they asked for. The nearest place for my car was a two-hour drive away, and not open on weekends.

But the AAA representative kept at it, kept calling me to make sure we got the car taken care of. We finally did, and I frankly was ready to just take the damage to the car due to my lack of time.

So yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of their customer service. Basically made me get my car fixed.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have my cars and home insured through them. only a year though, but no complaints ... wonderful customer service.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't have insurance through AAA, but am a member of the auto club. Great customer service, great side benefits (roadside assistance, maps, etc.) I'd recommend them, especially if you're saving that much money. Nobody I know has had any problems with AAA.

Have no idea what they're like after a claim, which is really the whole point, I guess. (Hell, knock on wood, I have no idea what Esurance is like after a claim, either, and I've been with them for four years.)

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Try GEICO.

And here's some unsolicited advice for everyone on this board, GET AS MUCH INSURANCE AS POSSIBLE (If you have assets to protect, i.e. house, savings etc.)

Someone close to me had the minimum insurance, $50k, while having substantial equity in home (probably over $500k) plus savings. Proceeded to hit a bicyclist after a couple of cocktails.

Luckily, police report concludes bicyclist was at fault for no light and crossing in front and bicyclist did not suffer catastrophic injuries. However, with a policy limit of only $50k, my friend was staring at losing everything if the injuries were greater.

Remember, insurance is to protect YOU, so make sure its a reputable company because it does no good to pay for insurance and have them skip town when its time to pay up.
    Get $100k on auto and buy a separate umbrella policy for $300k/ $500k or $1M (less than $1k/yr).

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'll second GEICO. So far so good (knocks on wood).

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Tried GEICO. Was about the same price as Progressive. Thanks for the info everyone. Think AAA is the winner.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Been with AAA forever, cars and house. After an accident I had maybe 20 years ago, there was a "three-year accident surcharge" that was not negotiable. Once that passed, my rates went down.
    Auto Club membership is the best.
    I have done no comparative shopping because I believe in AAA, but I have noticed that when all the other companies advertise and show cost comparisons, they never have AAA in their comparison lists.
    Just my opinion and my experience.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Totally agree on the "get as much as you can" deal. My family has a one million dollar umbrella policy that kicks in after the others. Now, look around my world and you will know we have nothing near a million dollars worth of stuff...but my wife, who used to sell this stuff, says that under the right circumstances we could lose it all, so we insure to make sure that doesn't happen.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have had AAA all my driving life (OK, not all. When I lived in Minnesota for two years State Farm was cheaper).
    But have had them for 25 years and no complaints. Have car and home through them.
    And I agree with SoCalDude... no one compares to AAA

Draft saved Draft deleted