1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AA charges soldier $100 for extra baggage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As Rummy said, you go to war with the Army you've got. And American Airlines wanted one of our soldiers to go to war without all his equipment.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_10044818

I wish I had been in the baggage line. I would have paid the soldier's bag fee, asked for an AA supervisor and then shamed the hell out of every employee within earshot.

2. bshriane

bshriane Guest

Got to love America. And American. I guess we don't really have to be worried about having our priorities screwed up. </end sarcasm>

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is common. He'll get every dime of it back when he files his travel paperwork when he gets back to Ft. Bliss. I've paid upwards of $400 for luggage, but gotten it all back.

Much ado about nothing.

4. SigR

SigR Member

As would any jerk who believes a soldier is more important than a non-soldier, or who believes certain professions come with entitlements.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did not this clown get banned from this place?

6. When did Krushchev become head of American Airlines?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, count me as someone who thinks a soldier is entitled to be exempt from a fucking baggage charge. AA's not going to go bankrupt by making an exception to people in uniform.

Actually this story really surprised me. I've never been on a plane with a soldier in which he/she wasn't treated with total respect, singled out by flight attendants, let off the plane first, etc.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto, on both counts.

9. You, sir, are a douche.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Although Toby Kieth would like you to think it does, being in the Army entitles one to no extra respect. No singling out on airplanes, being let off first. No accepting special favors. There's a joint (meaning it applies to all services) regulation that lays down some of these laws.

I don't even like it when little old ladies offer to pay for my meal.

I will not, however, complain if some old Vietnam vet slides a Budweiser down the bar.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I respect the desire for no extra respect, t_b_f. It's not like the soldiers I've seen on planes take a sweeping bow when the flight attendant asks for applause. They usually appear kind of embarrassed.

And I believe your point about a soldier getting reimbursed back at the base. That's not the point. Someone at an airline ticket counter should be able to make a superfluous baggage charge disappear with one keystroke with no commotion or even telling the passenger. It should just be. Make your stand on the gal with six suitcases full of shoes (even if she looks suspiciously like sportschick).

The kvetching by the AA officials in that story was obnoxious. If someone read that and booked a flight with a different carrier today out of protest, terrific.

12. Sorry, the only thing that strikes me about this story is that the soldier is demanding special privileges that other passengers don't get.

Take it up with the Army, not the airline.

I don't think a uniform should entail special privileges, whether it's a cop on the beat or a soldier "fighting for our freedom."

Draft saved Draft deleted