1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A woman's place is ... not on the trading desk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 24, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't be silly. Every time they raise their hands to signal a trade their boobs get in the way. They're at a disadvantage right there.
    Plus all they want to invest in are baking companies. It really hinders them.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Brings back memories of the 1970s commercial
    in which the guy said, "My wife makes the best cheeseburgers!"

It had a long run, too.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Women need to be to good at investing in making me the damn sammich.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Women who bring home the bacon still want someone to lick theirs.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

PBS did a documentary about him in 1987 that is difficult to find. Legend has it he bought up as many copies as he could find -- he hates it. The few that are out there turn out on Youtube, occasionally, and get pulled down due to copyright infringement almost as fast as they go up.

He was a futures and commodities trading madman in a time when you could actually game some of those markets. It looked like he was doing it mostly by feel and an innate understanding of market psychology. He traded anything that wasn't nailed down to the floor, but mostly feasted on S&P 500 futures. The documentary shows one particularly bad day, in which he cut his losses - he gets out down $6 million, or something like that. But his comment was that it (it, being the market) will pay him back with 100 percent interest. Four months later, he had made back 7 times what he had lost that day, and it showed him on a day in which he was making a cool $5 million (in 1987 dollars).

He basically ran the trend on the run-up in stocks in 1986 and 1987, all the while anticipating black Monday, when stocks collapsed. He was calling the stock market collapse all along, even as he was profiting off the run up. If I remember correctly, he thought it would come in 1988, not end of 1987, but when it hit, he recognized it and was short everything and made a fortune.

Trading legend doesn't even begin to describe a guy like this. He has an innate ability to see things happening as they happen--things that others don't recognize. At the same time, he has what every trader needs, which is that he never feels "comfortable." He is always worried he is fucking up. And it keeps him sharp.

Whatever comments he made notwithstanding, for a typical trader prick (he does have that arrogance), he actually seems to be a decent guy with a heart. Even before he was one of the richest men in the world (he makes those Forbes lists now) -- early on, when he was merely making millions -- he vowed to give away at least 10 percent of everything he made, and he wouldn't just give away money, he was going into schools in Bed-Stuy and actually mentoring kids one on one. They showed a bit of that in the documentary that is hard to find.

Now his hedge funds are ridiculous. Typical fund like his charges a hefty fee and takes a percentage of profits. He charges an even heftier fee and takes an even bigger percentage of profits. And people are still eager to give their money to him.

He's one of those, that if I ever heard there was a Stevie Cohen or Bernie Madoff thing going on with him, it would crush my world.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They show a clip of (what must be) that documentary in the 60 Minutes profile.

He was also one of the traders profiled/interviewed in Market Wizards, Jack Schwager's book, which came out in 1988.

I first went to work on the Commodities Exchange floor in February, 1990. All the young guys -- and the vast majority were guys -- who wanted to be traders were reading that book.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jones has three daughters -- they must have grown up playing this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Aw, hell, "career girls." That's almost too old-school for even me. That Girl was the classic show about that. Mary Tyler Moore was kind of the transition into a more enlightened perception.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sonia Jones is an 8.
    Mark Teixeira agrees.

Carry on.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

It's not like you have to be particularly smart to make money in the markets - and anyone who really believes gender is some qualifier is just being absurd. Anyone who implies that women can't do it is A) someone with women issues and/or B) just being ignorant. Markets are egalitarian. Scottrade has no fucking idea if you're a 12-year-old boy, an 87-year-old great grandmother, or someone's cat walking across the keyboard.

Money talks, bullshit walks, and quite frankly, if you're talking AT ALL, then you're obviously not on to anything hot, because if you were, you'd keep as low a profile as humanly possible until you milked it dry.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not looking to defend what Jones said, but we should be clear about what he was trying to say.

And, it wasn't that women can't be good traders. It's that a mother's top priority will always be her children. And, guys like Jones want traders who will be 100% focused on their jobs.

And, in the same way that there are not a lot of moms working an MLB beat, there aren't going to be a lot on a high pressured trading desk.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

With an attitude like that he could be the next AD at Rutgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted