1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A woman's place is ... not on the trading desk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 24, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So sayeth hedge fund guy Paul Tudor Jones.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/investor-paul-tudor-jones-says-mothers-cant-be-top-traders/

“You will never see as many great women investors or traders as men. Period. End of story,” Jones, 58, said to an audience at a University of Virginia McIntire School of Commerce symposium. “The idea that you could think straight for 60 seconds and be able to make a rational decision is impossible, particularly when their kids are involved.”

You can only imagine how well the comments are going over on the Internet. But of course he apologized, saying he didn't mean what he said.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Just stick a stove and the ingredients for a pot roast and a cherry pie in there. Problem solved.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is taking his quote out of context. I just watched the video...and he is talking about someone (male or female) going through divorce...not just women.

He's not innocent of being stupid...but let's demonize him for the proper quotes...

4. LongTimeListener

Look up the "bosom" quote. Is the poor guy out of context there too?

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Is his statement, that you'll never see as many great female investors/traders as males counterparts, inaccurate?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy is a genius trader and a legend.

When I became a floor member, there was an orientation you had to go through before being allowed in the pits. Part of it was ethics trading.

Paul Tudor Jones came in the room, introduced himself simply as Paul, and led the ethics discussion. Very unassuming guy for such a big shot.

He might be best known as a founder of the Robin Hood Foundation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_Foundation and for his donations to the University of Virginia, whose arena now carries his name.

60 Minutes profiled him a couple of weeks ago: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50146230n

Pretty dumb statement to make though. (The part about women, maybe not so much about divorce.)

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll bet Brittney Griner would make an excellent fund manager.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's a matter of socialization still, but I think women have the "necessities" to be good traders.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I agree. I'm not sure we'll ever see a majority of women in those positions.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Actually, it's his dad's name on the arena. John Paul Jones Arena, named after the third-most famous dude with that name.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But not the best-known Paul Jones.[/gordonsolie]

12. LongTimeListener

That wasn't his statement. His statement was that you won't see women because their mommy brains can't handle it.

I am sure he has binders full of women for his next recruiting trip, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted