1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A weekend alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This isn't a request for advice as to what I should do; it's just starting a discussion.

For the first time in a long time, I will have an entire weekend to myself. Mrs. C is going out of town without me and dropping the dog off with his dog buddies at a friend's house, and no kids (nephews and nieces) to watch.

I used to think I'd miss acting the fool and would go nuts when she went away, but I really can't think of anything I'd rather do than sit in my house alone, watch basketball, maybe golf a round or two, drink some beer and enjoy some peace and quiet. No getting together with the guys, or having a party, or anything. If that makes me weird, I guess it makes me weird.

What would you do with a weekend to yourself?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds like what I'd do, minus the golf.

Thing is, one of the casualties of being in the newspaper business for so long for myself is that I really don't have any social friends, to hang out with. I'm naturally shy, for one thing. But at the same time, I didn't have a chance to make friends for years because I would be working when they would be off, and vice-versa.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why can't you even be trusted to take care of a dog for a measly couple days?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That jumped out at me as well.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know you don't want advice, but I think you should act the fool and go nuts. When are you gonna get the chance again?

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'd like to think if I ever had a free weekend to do what I want, I'd go out like Lawrence with a million dollars, but I'd probably be more like Peter Gibbons.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A couple summers ago, my wife and son spent two weeks out-of-state with her parents while I stayed home.

I love them both, but I really enjoyed having that alone time.

It's rare that I ever get more than an hour or two by myself at home, so it was nice eating what and when I wanted, watching what I chose on TV and staying up as late, or going to bed as early, as I decided.

I also went to a couple of ballgames and hung out with friends after work without feeling guilty about leaving them at home.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did you marry your mother? Are you showers and shits on a schedule? Sippy cup?

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Don't know if you're married with kids, Pancamo, but when you are, it stops being about you and more about them.

So if you want to watch a ballgame and your son wants to watch Spongebob, you hand him the remote. If your wife stays up late, you stay up with her. If she makes tuna caserole for dinner, you eat tuna caserole.

That's not being married to your mom, it's doing stuff for your family.

11. bumpy mcgee

As someone with a four-month old daughter, I can tell you since my wife ended her maternity leave I have about an hour and a half of awake time to myself daily, and an hour of it is my commute to work.
    When I was on vacation last week, I had even less.

12. bumpy mcgee

Which means I cast my vote for party balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted