1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Walk into the Sunset - The Kid retires.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsDish, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Knowing Griffey he pulled his hamstring on the walk into the sunset.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There's a pretty wide gulf between being a "hater" and refusing to join in with the "God bless Junior, we KNOW he was clean!" celebrations.

Was he clean? I don't know. I would say probably yes... but there were tendon and muscle injuries along the way that could certainly be taken as indicators of steroid use. The fact that he wore his hat backwards and smiled a lot doesn't mean he was clean.

And by the way, it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the games at all. I have no idea who's a drug cheat and who isn't, and I'm not going to obsess over it. But I do think anyone who declares that a given player absolutely "did it the right way" and can be held up as a shining beacon of steroid-free success... that just seems hopelessly naive to me.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The crap that some of the traditionalists would give Junior for wearing his cap backward during BP and such was ridiculous ... regardless of whether he was a bigger jerk than Albert Belle.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You registered for the board in 2007.

The board was like this half a decade before you joined.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The whole point wasn't to say that Griffey was using, it was to say that nobody can make a DEFINITIVE statement that he wasn't. So leave it out the Fucking story.

Now go have some apple pie and pull your head out the sand. You are probably the same type of journalist that thought Clemens, Arod and the type were clean because "they never tested positive".

PC's posts nails this. I don't hate all, I really don't give a shit if he did use. I'm just not naive enough to believe the possibility doesn't exist.

Christ, you're naive enough to believe that Steroids in the NFL started in the 80's.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The secret to appreciating baseball isn't to pretend that anyone who didn't caught must be clean. It's to stop caring whether people were clean or not.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

why the vitriol? eff the eff off, sonny. and i never said nfl steroid use began in the '80s. i said that's when it became "all the rage." and i stand by that. nor did i say "the possibility doesn't exist," for griffey or anyone else. i'd never be "naive" enough to argue that.

however, you're damn straight i have zero problem giving griffey the benefit of the doubt until given evidence to the contrary. as for clemens and a-rod, of course i strongly suspected them of use -- clemens had bottomed out in boston then had a very suspicious and sudden rebirth in toronto. duhhh. and a-rod's numbers, as good as they've always been, took a quantum leap in texas. in both cases, their body types also took a precipitous leap in size/musculature.

i choose not to be suspicious. you've taken the opposite approach. whatever floats your boat.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

this i can certainly agree with.

Draft saved Draft deleted