1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Walk into the Sunset - The Kid retires.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsDish, Jun 3, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The sweetest swing in baseball brought popularity to a game reeling from a strike-ridden 1994 season.

Oy vey.

Any proof of that?

2. poindexter

There are times in life when you begin to realize you are getting older. Simple things like the first sign of a grey hair to complex thoughts like recognizing when your parents are in fact just people and not superheros. When we lose things that we grew up with, we begin to feel like our youth has disappeared.

Upon hearing the news that Ken Griffey Jr. retired, I feel old.

Griffey first felt old when he couldn't stay awake for games.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My life on the line, any pro athlete, especially a baseball player from that era, my answer is "yes."

4. poindexter

Mine too.

That prick, Griffey, seeing the success that PEDs brought all those other guys, isn't going to partake?

Maybe he just had Lance Armstrong's doctor.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Life on the line"?

Are you nine years old? Are you Jack Bauer?

And a long history of PED use might actually explain all those "nagging" injuries.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I grow old … I grow old …
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each

This thread is Old School SJ.

7. TheSportsDish

TheSportsDish New Member

Well, now I see where Poindexter comes from. He hates Griffey. Probably hates Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Gretzky, and everyone else who has achieved greatness. Hating takes so much energy.

Lance has a cloud around him. A cloud that Griffey doesn't. That's my point. If I didn't bring this up, no one attaches Griffey's name with Roids. Lance has had a "positive test" in a frozen sample. Is it much? No, but a cloud.

Griffey has NOTHING. Zero.

8. TheSportsDish

TheSportsDish New Member

And his inability to recover from those "nagging" injuries suggests he wasn't using anything. When you hear about PED's, you hear guys say they used them to recover from injury quicker. Griffey was a notoriously slow healer.

So you're saying that he used them when he was completely healthy, then when he got hurt he decided to stop using them for fear of recovering too quickly? Your logic, my friend, makes no sense.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You like to make a lot of assumptions. So because he hates Griffey, he hates the rest?

Sounds like you just may be a jock sniffer who would not be willing to crticize athletes. How's that for an assumption?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

PED's can help in recovery but they can also cause many injuries, especially muscle pulls. I seem to remember Griffey suffering a few of those.

You act as if Sosa, McGuire and Bonds were the pictures of health. I suggest you check out their injury history and types of injuries they suffered.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put my life on the line, but I'd be willing to torture Poindexter.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would bet that he used PEDs at some point in his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted