1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Very Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Dec 14, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I know this is a couple of weeks early, but I didn't want to tack it onto a running Christmas thread because it is important to me to get this out.

Thanks to a lot of friends, some whom we know, but most whom we don't, we will have a very merry Christmas this year, and I wanted to express thanks for any and all who might have had a hand in it.

As most of you know, I've been struggling with depression and self-worth over not having a job and the financial struggles that go with that. It has been a very rough year and not even close to the first rough year in our lives. In fact, our lives (both my wife and mine as singles, as well as together through 19 years of marriage) have been an uphill climb the likes of which are way too long to put down in one writing.

This Christmas was looking like another rough one. My mother passed away in October. We were never close, but the realization that three of my sisters and I are the oldest living family members has taken its emotional toll (no parents, no grandparents). In fact, I will turn 44 at the end of March, the age my father was when he died in 1977.

Many of you have shared your thoughts with me through this board. Some have been sympathetic and others empathetic (yes, there is a difference!), and I have grown close to still others and know you by name.

To make a long story short and to help me get the tears out of my eyes, we had a knock at the door tonight. At it was a Christmas tree, followed by several -- SEVERAL -- bags of groceries, being delivered by four men from our church whom I don't even know their names.

There's something magical about a Christmas tree that really makes Christmas. As a child, I used to lie under our tree and stare up through the lights -- the colors, the smell and the anticipation of opening presents are some of my most fond memories and those which I want to pass down to our now 11-year-old, developmentally-disabled son.

So many of you have been generous in ways I can't imagine. My wife now understands why I peck on the keyboard night after night on SportsJournalists.com. To all of you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You have brightened my dim spirits while giving me hope, and have our son bouncing off the walls in anticipation. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Because of many of you, I am holding on, even if it is just one more day at times. I know I'm stubborn, and probably have too much pride, but I can't stand the thought of my kids growing up like we did. Because of many of you, I can still hold my chin up and know things will get better.

So thank you, my SportsJournalists.com family.

-HH

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

HH: Your courage, honesty and love for your family combine to give all of us who have followed your saga hope.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

You're an inspiration to all of us here.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Glad you posted this, HH. And I'm especially glad that people from your church came through for you and your family.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That gave me goosebumps just reading it.

Awesome. Totally awesome.

HH, may 2008 be the year the breaks start falling your way.

5. HH,

I've followed your entire "story" on the depression thread, and while I could never begin to think that I know how you feel, I have prayed for you and your family to experience happiness and get those "breaks" you're looking for. The words you've typed have been very inspirational, and if I (and I'm sure, everyone else on the board) had the means, I would write a check for the exact amount you needed.

I can tell by what you've written that you are very brave, courageous and have a wonderful heart. Your family is extremely blessed to have you at the head of their household, even if you don't think so. Keep fighting. Keep praying. Keep hoping, and I promise you, good things will happen.

God bless and have a very Merry Christmas.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Handsome -

Keep believing and keep holding up your head. You will make it through this rough time.
    Merry Christmas.

Love and hugs go out to you and your family.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I blame soccer....

Wait....

hang in there brother... am sure there's something for you on the jobs board too if you look hard enough and jump into it and life with a positive attitude.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

C'mon, y'all, I've already cried once on this thread. ::)

For as many of you that have called me an inspiration (and you made my year with those words), it is many of you that have helped me continue to stand.

A special thanks to Sxy. You can always call me Handsome. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted