1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very grand post

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Moddy, I'm gonna start a thread celebrate my next post number. Just FYI.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A very, very, very, very small sense of accomplishment?

Same reason why turning 21 is such a big deal for a lot of people. Technically, it's not an important age. You are already an adult, pay taxes, can be drafted to fight in the military etc. Really, the only reason why it's a big deal for people is that you can legally have an alcoholic beverage. Yet, it's considered another rite of adulthood.

For many, posting 1,000 isn't a big deal. For me, who lurked for a couple of years, it took me a while to get the courage to make my first post (which was on the Movies that Make Me Cry thread), not knowing what kind of reaction that I would get.

My first few posts, I'd constantly flip back to the threads to see if anyone responded. Now, I've gotten a lot more used to posting. For some people, posting on a site, even anonymously, is a bit of a personal thing.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to get my head handed to me for this, but what is the harm in it, especially compared to a lot of the silly, vindictive and/or vile stuff that gets posted here?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's no harm either. That's why they don't get deleted.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Best approach - act like you've been there. You know, sometimes it actually works.

6. dixiehack

Good. Because in another 31 posts I'm bringing in balloons, streamers, a marching band, coke, hookers wearing Nats jerseys, etc. Let me know if you are going on break anytime soon and I'll spare you the agony. :D

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I meant to add above: We only spike those celebrating 5,000.

8. dixiehack

Mr. Speaker, I wish to revise and extend my remarks.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thats' why he's celebrating 5,001. Now about the coke and hookers... are they a packaged deal? Or can we enjoy them separately?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind this thread...

But I did wonder yesterday why someone would be proud of 20,000 posts in a quarter of the time I have been on this site, when at least 15,000 of those posts haven't amounted to anything more than "Solid. Damn. Fucking. Solid," or something similar.

That said, congrats to everyone celebrating.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, I haven't been there before. That's why I was celebrating yesterday. Now that I have, I can now act like I've been there before.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Especially when that round number is 1,000, which is probably been achieved by 100s of posters already.

It's like a manager getting the 10th win of his career in the majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted