1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very good reason for midnight prep football practice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WolvEagle, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, some radio screamers are upset about this, claiming the players are breaking a legal curfew and the stadium lights on in the middle of the night is a "public nuisance."

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Just about everybody here starts between 6-7 a.m. A few practice in the evening, 6-8-ish. Without NFL-style technology, it's just too fucking hot to do anything between those hours.

Plus, the first three days of practice in IL are helmets/shorts only. So the players have till Saturday before they put on pads and start hitting.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A couple of schools here do it on the first day, but not after. School started this week for everyone so it's unpossible to do it consistently...

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Midnight Madness is a tradition at my alma mater. But it's reserved for the first full-pad practice.

Nobody but the dementedly twisted wants to stay up till midnight to watch a bunch of guys in shorts.

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Let 'em scream.

One of the school's athletic directors is on the City Council, so the city is very well aware of what's going on. And, it's not like the kids are running amok in the neighborhood - they're in a fenced-in stadium.

I could, though, see how neighbors could be upset with the stadium lights being on all night. There are houses on three sides of the school, and the stadium is at the back of the school property.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You must have listening to a reasonable, measured discussion, given the comments here.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24604121/detail.html

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Holy hell.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah but the neighbors are all muslim. They're up eating breakfast anyway.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A movie is being made about the Fordson football team. Probably a low budget local thing, but the trailer looks pretty sweet. Looks like something ESPN outside the lines would do.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I missed this thread the first time around, but I have to say I would love to do the story on this team during two-a-days.

I hate the heat. Hate. Did I mention HATE? Hell, I could get out of work at 10, go home, grab a snack, freshen up and go to the stadium. As long as I didn't have to be back at work at 7 a.m. the next day I would probably be doing cartwheels.

11. Roob

Roob New Member

it was actually 1995

and it's spelled Alzindani

he won Foot Locker @ Balboa Park in San Diego in 15:12

Draft saved Draft deleted