1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very fair article on "fanboy".

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jimmy Olson, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

http://www.ndnation.com/geetar/2006/10/fanboys-unite_116222698954744639.html

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

First off, what this guy doesn't seem to understand is not every journalist in the history of print media is trying to get a job at ESPN. This is ridiculous and yet another example of how non-journalists view the media. Not all of us think ESPN is the top of our working careers.

Speaking of ridiculous, saying that bloggers and "fanboys" receive more criticism is over the top. I cover high school sports and I can guarantee anything I write that is not liked will feature my name being shredded on a fan board. At my old shop I was constantly flamed for columns I wrote, be it on message boards or letters to the editor or phone calls saying I should be fired to calls to the local radio station.

Thanks for posting this drivel.

3. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

You make it seem as if the media is the only opinion that should count. That's a bit arrogant isn't it?
    Afterall, if it weren't for the reader/listener, wouldn't our jobs only be to hear ourselves?

The Grantland Rice's of the world were there to either
    1) Paint a picture
    2) Report facts without bias.

Perhaps it is you who should change his view of "the media", not non-journalists.

We should hold ourselves to higher standards.

I find your closing comments quite comical, in light of your attitude on the subject.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, in the part I was speaking about, journalists are all the matter. It seems most people out there, my family and friends included, think every print journalist wants to work for ESPN and I call bullshit. I know I would like to get paid like I work for ESPN, but I have no desire to leave newspapers and I don't think that is arrogant at all.

5. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

I will agree that ESPN is bullshit ;D

Joking aside, I hate what ESPN has done to Sports Journalism.

My experience is NOT that everyone thinks we want to work there.
    I truly believe that most people want to believe that the rest of us
    have standards.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It should be noted that what the writer, calls "journalistic acrobatics" is actually just what we lowly reporters call "hard work" and "an effort toward providing both sides." Spare me the histrionics. Hundred years of sportswriting, and suddenly the fucking bloggers have us all figured out? Yeah, alright.

By the way, this gem...
    Is the perfect example of how little fanboys understand. Of COURSE a fanboy thinks its easier to overcome a positive bias and write something critical. As long as the bloggers get their Hanes in a knot about biases toward or against their favorite teams, they will continue to be cut-rate sportswriters. But hey, that's just my four years of education at a major university talking. What do I know?

7. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Um, four years of education at a major university is just that. It's not exactly a rare occasion these days.
    I had to chime in on that one only because my brother-in-"law only" always uses that line. He forgets that
    everyone else at the table has a diploma from schools that have much better reputations than his alma mater.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey Jimmy thanks for posting your story. ::)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think the writer has been watching too many conspiracy shows. Agendas? Outside of reporting on a team as completely as possible, I can't think of a single "agenda" I've ever had (or any other writers I know, for that matter). The problem this guy has, is he lumps columnists, TV talking heads and beat writers all into the same pile. Columnists and talking heads are paid for their opinions. If that columnist or talking head doesn't like a certain team, that's going to come out. But there's never any pretension that Mariotti or his ilk are objective. He's supposed to offer an opinion.

The beat guys are the ones who are supposed to remain objective and report fairly. I admit that not all do -- some are homers, others are cynical bastards -- but I'd certainly say the vast majority do.

Riiiiight. Because a beat writer who is with the team every day and has cultivated sources both inside and outside of the locker room has no idea what's going on.

I don't know about you, but I've never been given the option of which letter to run.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and fetch me a beer, newbie. In fact, make it two for subjecting us to your drivel. Murphy's Amber and a Magic Hat No. 9 will do nicely.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's my favorite part. I just picture sports department meetings with letters to the editor fanned out across a large table and the sports writers sifting through choosing the letters to run to make us look good.

Jeez.

And this guy wants to examine this topic when he doesn't even know how a newspaper works? Give me a break.

Oh, Telander is a columnist, he's PAID for his opinion. Much different than a beat writer, pal.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

one thing fanboy doesn't get - because he never worked in the business:

sportswriters have one overriding bias - they love good stories.

good stories have no rooting interest

Draft saved Draft deleted