1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A truly special story: America's Youngest Murderer "Mentors the Children."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 22, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't get it Fen. If this guy doesn't talk about the consequences of horrid behavior, who would do it? A successful person? Yeah, that's gonna motivate someone.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

We got a thousand points of light
    For the homeless man
    We got a kinder, gentler,
    Machine gun hand
    We got department stores
    and toilet paper
    Got styrofoam boxes
    for the ozone layer
    Got a man of the people,
    says keep hope alive
    Got fuel to burn,
    got roads to drive....

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Star thinks the guy should give a lecture on The Right Way to Murder.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Get shotgun.

2. Aim at person you want to kill.

3. Pull trigger.

So easy, an 11-year-old can do it! Just stick to the fundamentals, you'll be fine!!

I'm fairly sure the reporter who wrote the story is not white. Although given the Oakland Press is a JRC paper, that is about a 99% safe assumpion to make.

5. This, from the link, is what I mean:

"Aaron Dorkins, 16, a Pontiac Central High School student, said he hoped some of the kids in the audience would learn from the experience.
    "It's important that he comes here so that kids can understand what he did and learn from it," Dorkins said. "I don't think this glorifies what he did. This shows you can learn from your mistakes. That is why it's called a second chance."

How anyone can object simply to trying something like this is beyond me.

6. Starman

Ostracization, condemnation, revulsion and shame are powerful tools.

Kids should be taught that a person like this is someone you do not want to be like, someone you do not want to meet, someone whose autograph you do not want, someone you do not want to even be in the same room with.

The best approach for kids to "learn from his mistakes" is for them to learn that some mistakes are so horrifying, you better not make them in the first place.

7. And, remaining ignorant, they will go on their way.

8. Starman

Or, they'll see the happy murderer, a free man with a state-provided halfway house, money and a job, snappy snazzy clothes (he wore what could only be described as a Pimp Suit for his official release from prison), making appearances in front of admiring crowds, and think, "Wow, things sure worked out good for him. Maybe I'll grab a gun myself and see if things work out for me too."

9. Yes, because they're too ignorant to actually listen to what he's saying, and to see past the clothes to what he's actually doing with his life.
    This is the kind of thing Jim Brown does for a living with ex-gangsters, and it works. At any rate, it's worth a try.
    Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted