1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A truly special story: America's Youngest Murderer "Mentors the Children."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/072007/loc_20070720180.shtml

Welllllllllll, isn't that special??? ::) ::)

He did, at least, get one thing right:

2. Jesus, star, he was 11, and who would you like to have talk to at-risk kids in that milieu. Nuns?

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

My favorite part of the story is near the bottom, where Stewart criticizes the "white media" for demonizing the indiviudal who took the life of another with a firearm. ::)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh here we go again, the poor innocent child, he was only 11, boo fucking hoo. There's always some fucking excuse. He was only 11, he was poor, he was underprivileged, blah blah yadda yadda. He blew a guy off the front door of a party store with a shotgun.

This delivers exactly the wrong message to at-risk kids: "Go ahead, kill someone, and in a few years, people will be asking for your autograph."

Children should not see or hear these fuckers at all, except maybe to be paraded in front of a video camera in leg and neck irons, fed bread and water, then slammed in a 6-foot cell. "Look what happens when you do the shit this dumbass did. And he's going to be there for 10 more years." THAT'S the message kids should be getting.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know about you guys, but I've always felt the "white media" was to blame for all my problems. After all, there's got to be someone or something to blame for the things I've done. Certainly I'm not to blame for my mistakes.

6. Because it's worked so well through the years.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The white media gave the 11-year-old a gun and taught him how to fire it and tipped him off about the time and place that might be conducive to a murder. And then after doing all of this, the evil white media turned on the kid.
    Shameful.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

However, I'm relieved to see Mr. Stewart has forgiven the "white media" to the point where he is willing to speak to a reporter who writes how the killer has turned his life around and now wants to be a beacon of light for the youth of America.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One point of light down, 999 to go ...

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So Fen, instead of criticizing Star, why don't you offer an alternative? Seriously.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What on earth are these kids going to do with his autograph? Hang it on the wall? Frame it and prop it up on their mantles?

12. My point was that this program appears to be nothing more (or less) than a kind of Scared Straight, except that it's not taking place in prison. I ask, again, who should we have talk to these at-risk kids about the consequences of what they've done?

Draft saved Draft deleted