1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A truly great week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My funny little honey and I had planned to take an Alaska cruise for our 20th anniversary, which is next month. But it just seemed like soooo much money. Also, the softball scholarship my daughter just recieved wont cover everything so we have some outgoing cash for that coming up.

I am sure it's some sportswriters fault that my kid's scholarship wont cover it all. So now it's some sportswriters fault that I can't celebrate my anniversary properly...bastards [/sarcasm...i swear to god...sarcasm]

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I look forward to the day that she is a rotting corpse. Too much?

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Did a story on a college football player who went on a Caribbean cruise the summer before his redshirt freshman year. He needed to put on some bulk, so he spent most of the week pigging out at the big breakfasts and buffets that were on the ship around the clock, as well as the Johnny Rockets hamburger joint on board.

He gained 13 pounds. In one week.

Raised my brow a little bit, but the team trainer and offensive coordinator confirmed it.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I have never been on a cruise.

But I've "also heard from folks" that you shouldn't go on a cruse with just you and a significant other -- that it's much more fun to be with another couple or family.

Any truth to that?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Norovirus.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Norovirus.

We have a winner. Nothing would piss me off more than to waste my money and vacation time on a cruise, only to end up puking and miserable from a norovirus-infected ship.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Went on my first cruise for my honeymoon and loved it. Was on Sovereign of the Seas for 4 days and it was great. If you go on a cruise and they give you a choice of two seatings for dinner, always choose the later one -- fewer little kids crying or running around.

8. EStreetJoe

Money isn't the only issue when it comes to the bigger/newer ships. Destinations, sailing dates, and departing port play a big role too.
    For our honeymoon, since I've never been on a cruise before I wanted a shorter cruise (4 days) so the whole honeymoon week wouldn't be wrecked if I got seasick, didn't like it, etc. Plus we were planning to spend some time in Orlando (Sea World, Universal, Disney) after the cruise as part of the honeymoon. So that made Port Canaveral the best port to sail out of. So a short cruise plus one port equalled a limited choice of ships/cruise lines.
    So we wound up on one of the smaller ships (Sovereign of the Seas). The food in the dining room was great (the buffet on the higher deck was only good). So we had a few lines, no big deal. Didn't take away from the enjoyment of the cruise at all.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've had mixed experiences. My father took the family on one about 10 years ago and we all had a pretty good time.

My wife (then my girlfriend) and I went on one a year or two later and most of it was good, except we had an entire day ruined by a power outage on the ship. That SUCKED!

10. EStreetJoe

For family -- I guess it depends on how close you are with family and how agreeable the family is about allowing you to do things on your own instead of doing everything as a family (since the entire family likely won't agree on excursions, activities, etc.)

As for going with another couple -- Could be more fun, but again, are the four of you going to want to spend the entire trip together (except for sleeping, where you're lucky if the cabins are big enough for two people) or is each couple going to want to go off exploring on its own and then get together for meals, on-board nightlife, etc.

11. EStreetJoe

My honeymoon cruise was nearly ruined by a tropical storm/hurricane. Fortunately the captain was able to reverse the itinerary so we headed south, away from the storm first, and then came back to the rest of the good stops after the storm had passed and the weather was nice. So we wound up boarding the ship in the rain and having rain part of the first day until we got away from the storm.

12. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

It's pretty fun when you're single, too. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted