1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A true, heartfelt thank you to Big Buckin' agate_monkey and Mike311GD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 12, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That Harvey Danger CD "Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?" is one of my favorite records. It's severely underrated. Sure "Flagpole Sitta" is a great tune, but "Private Helicopter" is amazing, and easily my favorite on the album. It's solid from front to back.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love he Flaming Lips, but "She Don't Use Jelly" was awful.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This thread has taken a great turn.

I disagree about the Standing outside the phonebooth song. I love that song. Another one that took me two years to find. Well worth the wait. And, interestingly, the words are...

I've been downhearted baby.

Not, Up and down Harlem baby, like I thought it was...

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It might have been the worst song on "Floored." Between "Cash," "Tap, Twist, Snap" and "Breathe," you're right, WS, "Fly" did stick out. It was probably the worst song on that album, next to ... well, the other version of "Fly."

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another song that I never got, but everyone loved: "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't love it. I think that suck reeks worse than my nuts do.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That may be my least favorite song of the 90's. That or that awful song with the fat bee in the video ... oh, right, No Rain. All I can say is gtfo.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not at the same time frame, but there wasn't another song that annoyed me more in college than Outkast's "Hey Ya." Anytime someone said anything about a Polaroid picture or being "ice cold," I wanted to give them five good ones.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sorry Mike, maybe we're not blood brothers — Hey Ya was my ringtone for my sophomore year...following I believe in a Thing Called Love.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I love those songs. As far as craptastic alt-grunge era stuff:
    --Got a Girl by Tripping Daisy
    --Cumbersome by Seven Mary 3
    --Supermodel by Jill Sobule.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Long Island's finest. I believe they went to no. 1 and lost their record deal all in like six months.

same fate for another LI band, Nine Days. "Story Of A Girl" hit no. 1 and they were cut months later.

As for one-hit alternawonders, no discussion is complete without The Toadies, who had one of the greatest singles ever with "Possum Kingdom." Others:

Spacehog, "In The Meantime"
    Belly, "Feed The Tree"
    Lit, "My Own Worst Enemy"
    Natalie Imbruglia, "Torn" (the whole album was actually pretty good...nice fluffy pop)

Dooley pulled a great one with Seven Mary Three. They had another minor hit with "Water's Edge," which was like "Uncle Tom's Cabin" if sung by a guy who was squeezing to take a giant shit. I, of course, loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted