1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A trip to God's country: Long live Michigan's U.P.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Jul 21, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A shameless plug for a place that, if more Midwestern folks knew about it, would be flooded with tourists every summer: Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Yeah, it was once part of the Ohio territory.

Yeah, geographically it should be part of Wisconsin.

And yes, by many in "lower Michigan," it's regarded as some backwater filled with deer-hunting yahoos, swarms of mosquitoes and abandoned pasty stands.

But I, the missus and our two "little Cocos" just got back from a quick trip through Manistique and the eastern U.P., and we had a great, great time. Where else can you beachcomb along the shores of three Great Lakes, tour historic lighthouses, catch (and EAT!) brown trout, walleye and plenty of other fine fish -- all while enjoying great bargains on motels, food and supplies.

Three personal recommendations:

1. The Star Motel in Manistique (affordable, clean, large 1950s-era rooms, and a private beach on Lake Michigan).

2. Any Main Street Pizza location in the central U.P. The pizza's great, but the breadsticks (coated with butter and a garlic/parmesian cheese blend) are sinfully good.

3. Great Lakes Shipwreck museum on Whitefish Point. A great location that's both awesome and sobering. And the Edmond Fitzgerald bell is there.

Seriously, I'm just scratching the surface here ... many would argue (Hi, U.P. Chip!) that we didn't even visit the Upper Peninsula's most interesting side, its western half.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This week's New Yorker has a good story by Calvin Trillin about the horrible killings of those three teens that took place near a bridge there last year.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Manistique is beautiful, but yeah, it should all be part of Wisconsin. Fuck the stupid Toledo War.

4. love the UP

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great place to visit in early August when it's 105º here.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Was part of the Ohio Territory, until we kicked ass and took some names in the Toledo War (possibly the best war ever).

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Best of the UP is the Porcupine Mountains. Great for camping, hiking and just getting away from the world for a while. Scenery, wildlife and waterfalls abound.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

I've grown up here and after 4 1/2 years of school had the good fortune to find a job up here covering a lot of the teams I grew up reading about.

It's not perfect (and if you don't like winter I'd avoid here from November-May), but it's got a lot of good things going for it. Low cost of living, passionate sports fans, good people, culture and things to do (especially for the outdoorsman).

I originally thought like everyone else that I was going to "make it" at a big metro and never come back. Now, I realize that if this is where I "end up" for a long while that I'll be doing OK regardless.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Saint Ignace Mystery Spot is pretty funny.

http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/

We spent a Haloween in Christmas, once.

Pictured Rocks National Park is pretty cool.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And the Golden Gate ain't got nothin' on Mighty Mac.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, if memory serves, Michigan got the U.P. and Ohio territory got the strip of land with Toledo on it. I've got nothing against Toledo, but for Ohio, this trade ranks among the worst not involving someone named Lou Brock.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Michigan went to war to force Ohio to take Toledo?

Draft saved Draft deleted