1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A tribute to departing Chronicle staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Forgive me if this is a d_b, but I got it today in an e-mail. Sad day in San Francisco. :(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category?blogid=28&cat=1301

2. That makes my stomach turn.

It's like ... why even try to build a career and a life as a journalist or a writer? What's the point? So you can get laid off at age 40 or 45 despite the kind of unbelievable credentials most of these reporters have?

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Bullshit, everyone one of those people have skills that a college graduate wishes he or she had.
    Complete bullshit.
    How does the Chronicle expect to replace all these people? I bet they just wont and the newspaper's going to suffer because of it. They'll be reaping what they brought on themselves.
    Fuck the Chronicle, fuck publishers who care less about quality and more about money and fuck Lean Dean Singleton, who I know very little about other than he's behind the lay-offs at the Chronicle and at several other daily papers.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Fuck Singleton, Murdoch, Jelenic and their ilk with an unlubricated broom handle.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A SPLINTERED unlubricated broom handle.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The same one, too, for all of 'em. Heartless, money-grubbing cockgoblins.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nice tribute. Should be done everywhere there are layoffs, cutbacks and early retirements. It humanizes a story that often reads like a numbers story instead of a people story.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

God, that's depressing.
    Classy as hell. But depressing.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Great people. Don't let the door hit you.

Why, again, are newspapers dying?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable. You could start a damn good paper with half of these people. You could put together an incredible one with all of them.

And the Chronicle had them and is casting them aside. And for what?

Meanwhile, I heard two other pieces of equally cheery news: 1) the OC Register has more layoffs planned in the very near future, and 2) the St. Petersburg Times just let one of the good and talented guys in this business -- Bob Harig -- go.

Once again, a rational business model is urinated on by the brain-dead folks who are allegedly "managing" a business. Managing a business in a way that any management professor at a business school worth its tuition would flunk you for submitting.

And the eating of its own continues.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Heartbreaking. Just devastating, because these stories are the norm everywhere, not the exception.

There's a couple of youngsters in my current place that would have a very bright future if they only had the timing to get into this business 20 years ago. But now, I'm not sure how talented people can find a way to get their proper due the way they used to. So many people who would have been great journalists (and who were and are great journalists) are lost to this business, thanks to shortsighted ownership, and shortsighted management.

I'm a little fuzzy on Singleton's properties right now. I know he has the Mercury News and most of NoCal (Oakland Tribune, Contra Costa Times I believe). Ironic and sad; I know there are people who left quality situations in SoCal to escape the inevitable Singleton-caused decline, and now their new places are just bought up by that robber-baron.

But I would have thought that having a hand in the Chronicle would mean he has a monopoly, and that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Thought the Chronicle was the last bastion up there.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Approaching 30 now. If this is what I have to look forward to...............

Draft saved Draft deleted