1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A tragic death

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jdrtsn, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jdrtsn

jdrtsn New Member

Some of you may know Betty Cuniberti. Betty is a brilliant woman and a gifted writer. She was a pioneer in women breaking into sports writing in high-profile jobs at top-tier papers. This link is to the obituary for her 17-year-old son, Oscar, who died last week. Betty was supposed to receive a national writing award at the golf writers meeting that precedes the Masters. She could not make it, but I understand Dave Kindred delivered a heart-warming speech while accepting on her behalf. I have been fortunate to share experiences with Betty, as each of us tries to be a good parent to special-needs children. I know it is possible to cry and laugh at the same time, at least when Betty is on the other side of the conversation.

http://www.legacy.com/stltoday/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=107349226

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I don't know her, but my heart breaks for her. My world would end if I lost my kids.

Prayers and condolences to her and her family.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My God, I had no idea. How terrible....and what a beautiful obituary.

Prayers to Betty and her family.....RIP, Oscar.

4. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Betty sent me an e-mail to read at the Golf Writers dinner when I accepted her award for first place in the column writing contest.

She said -- I could see her eyes twinkling through the tears -- "I'm sure you'll also want to tell everybody about how you finished third and I e-mailed you, 'Tough break, kid, keep at it.'"

I love the woman.

5. No one should ever have to bury thier own child. No one.

Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted