1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A tradition like a bunch of others: Running Selection Sunday thread 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Mar 11, 2012.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

So the regular season champion of a BCS conference (Washington) is out.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm curious: Why is one of the play-in games between 12 seeds? Why not just the four worst 16 seeds?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Creighton gets an 8 and a possible second game against North Carolina in Greensboro? Odd. None of the bracket projections I saw had them lower than a 6.

Hopefully there was more reasoning behind it than just a potential Harrison Barnes-Doug McDermott reunion storyline.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Part of the charm of the tournament is the little conference winners that get to play on the big stage. Shunting off a few of them to play each other ruins that.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And in college towns across America, Iona becomes a four-letter word.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The higher-seed playins also allow more bubble teams to be included.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it was a compromise. 1. you don't want to slaughter the auto-qualifiers and 2. When they added teams, largely schools selected for the final spots are at-large teams from big conferences - (also who have the kind of fan base that might actually travel to Dayton) - you have to seed them appropriately.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting that Iona is one of the last in - the Rivals RPI has them above BYU, South Florida, and West Virginia.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I knew Missouri would be a No. 2. But I'm overjoyed that the potential regional final is against the one top seed Missouri would have a decent shot against.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nice of the NCAA to set up a potential UK-Duke regional final 20 years later.

And in terms of ticket sales, Phoenix is looking at a potential group of Michigan State, Louisville, Missouri and Marquette for the West Regional.

Portland gets Wichita State, VCU, Indiana, New Mexico State, New Mexico, Long Beach, Louisville and Davidson.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

When Ohio State tried to refer to itself as Ohio, the real Ohio filed a lawsuit and what amounted to a cease-and-desist.

Now that Michigan is referring to Ohio State as Ohio, the real Ohio will launch an all-out effort for a tourney upset. Love it.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Louisville fans have a choice to make.

Draft saved Draft deleted