1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A town divided"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Remington, Ind.

Rensselaer, Ind.

Battle Ground, Ind.

Danville, Ill.

All of the preceding have been subjects of "a town divided" pieces about support re: Colts and Bears.

So if you're a burg semi-equidistant to Indianapolis and Chicago, and you haven't been profiled yet, you're just not trying.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Aren't San Diego, Salt Lake and Seattle also semi-equidistant to Indianapolis and Chicago? ;)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rensselaer has something besides statues covered in pigeon shit?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Tahoe's 15 minutes from both, where's their story?

Though really, do you NEED another one after "Battle Ground, Ind.?"

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Not much to write about when there are 2 weeks to kill between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl. Kind of makes one yearn for the seasons when they don't have the long time off between games. One can only read about Tank Johnson's legal problems and Peyton Manning's thumb so long before the mind starts to wander.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you are in Danville, IL, the better question to ask is, "Why?"

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Indeed.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The bye week is absolutely essential to keep the suits in the paper's corner offices from fucking things up beyond repair. It's what my old boss used to call, "dancing down Yawkey Way in their underwear."
    It also avoids the $365 laundry bill I racked up at the NO Hyatt during Super Bowl XXXVI after a week on the road in Pittsburgh followed by immediate flight to the bayou.
    Yes, there's some boring school-figures journalism done that week.There's even more done the week before the game, bye or no.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Lends itself to a pretty good lead, I would think.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've always enjoyed when people say "I'm NOT from Northwest Indiana! I'm from CHICAGOLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But now these burgs have their 15 minutes. Good for them.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Classic dialogue from "Cheers":

One of Woody's yokel friends from Indiana saying goodbye to the regulars: "If you guys are ever in Hanover, you know what to do."

Carla Tortelli: "Yeah, run screaming for the nearest airport."

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You know, from just about any place west or southwest of St. Louis, there's only a 50-mile difference in distance between the two.

So I guess the nation's divided.

Draft saved Draft deleted