1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A top 10 tweet: We don't print the truth

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Indy Star's Ramos got into a Twitter battle with an Indy Biz Journal blogger. Ramos won. TKO in 100 characters.
    The blogger had a ridiculously incorrect post about a Star writer's situation at ESPN. Headline said the writer 'denies' he's going to ESPN. That's not what the writer denied.
    Ramos called the blogger on it, went after the blogger on Twitter, saying it was bad reporting, bad headline, bad link.
    The blogger posted another entry today saying, in fact, the writer is headed to ESPN.
    The back and forth between Ramos and the blogger led to this priceless response from IBJ:

IBJ The Score ‏@IBJTheScore
    .@ronnieramos We don't print the truth, Ronnie, we print what people say. You of all people should know that.

I'd love to see that on the IBJ masthead...

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think the IBJ is trying to get a dig in, though I couldn't tell you why. It probably wasn't wise to go deep with Ronnie Ramos, who at the NCAA honed his skills in Twitter fighting. It also helps your dig if you're 100 percent right. Whatever, it's the philosophy behind a lot of journalism, boiled down.

It's odd that IBJ ran a piece saying Wells denied going to ESPN, or even Wells denying anything about it, because I saw local radio guy/Pacers PA guy/friend-of-Wells Michael Grady congratulating Wells on the new gig a little while back.

What is true is that following the Star reorg, two high-profile writers, Mike Wells and Terry Hutchens, have left, for what it's worth.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Wells never denied going to ESPN. He denied he was going to ESPN to cover the NBA. Just a bad question, particularly because the news had been out for so long.
    IBJ wrote it like it was breaking news. They broke it, all right. Almost beyond repair.
    Beyond all that, I just found the guy's response to Ramos hysterical. Bio says he's an IU grad. He either didn't go to the J-school or didn't pay enough attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted