1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A toast to the stuff you guys put up with...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Mar 3, 2012.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Being paranoid about just this sort of situation, I always call myself a couple of days ahead and let them know I'm coming to cover the game. Never had a problem, but I can see where it would happen.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had a recurring nightmare the night before every time I had to go to the Rose Bowl for either a UCLA game or the Rose Bowl game, that I would encounter the one person who didn't know that I had the correct pass and I'd wind up in San Dimas. Never happened, but I always feared it would.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't worry. San Dimas' greatest residents could have taken you back in time to fix the mixup.

[​IMG]

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, and I did not have to show it 99 percent of the time 10 years ago as well.

But now you have librhul media knuckle draggers, schools fighting for every fucking penny and state associations fighting even harder for the buck.

If you have the badge, it gets rid of a lot of the bullshit.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've definitely seen that approach work.

IllMill, update when you get a chance. Let us know if the editor ever got in touch with the AD.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As does the "patting the laptop bag" and waving, but sometimes school officials act like they're running the Super Bowl not a local event.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I remember when I was the CEO of a major bank and left my credential at home late one year. I was worried nobody would let me in -- and I wouldn't be able to pick up my bonus check.

You all have no idea.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hope to God you called out the security guards in a public forum for making too much money.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

It was a 7pm start and I got there at 6:15. I don't know what difference that makes though, because it was known they would be at capacity the night before. They have a tiny gym, and this was one of the most talked about games of the year.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like this AD might have a bone to pick with the paper and used you as his scapegoat. Real classy.

As others have said, let us know what happens when your editor talks with the school.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It can be, but in this case it sounds like the AD being an asshole was the root of the problem. He was clearly out to screw over the paper or the sports editor, for whatever reason. Otherwise you don't tell the sports editor all is well, then refuse to let the guy in.

Draft saved Draft deleted