1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A toast to the stuff you guys put up with...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Mar 3, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The readers need to know why the game was not covered. I'm sure they expected a story to be there. But it needs to be the editor, explaining how it went down and expressing the hope that the problem will not happen again so the paper can give the kids the coverage they deserve.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Was the game really not covered at all? Neither coach was reachable afterward? No one called in the box score?

And, IllMil, keep in mind that the money you pass up may very well simply get cut from the freelancer budget and go right back to the company that owns the paper.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Threads like this remind me of a few years ago, when the paper sent me to Southern California for a regional semifinal playoff game ... four hour drive turned into five going through LA. Get to the gym, my paper's credentials and a card from the state sportswriters association that the CIF recognizes as a legitimate credential. No, the prick of an AD at a major parochial school decides all the reporters have to get a special ticket at the box office first, and then we can't sit courtside because of some expected VIPs ... well, at least VI to them! Really though of making a fuss and gaining valuable SportsJournalists.com man points, but what good would that do my readers?

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't really care where it goes. I took it to produce a product and I didn't do that, so I don't really want it. I actually asked for more for this game because it was such a far drive, and judging by how hard it was for the SE to agree to that, I figured the money actually meant something to him. He thanked me for offering it back, and said he'd give me a little more than I offered to take. He was clearly relieved I didn't want the whole amount, so it must mean something to him or make his life easier, which is all I was trying to do.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

As a sports editor, I always email the AD and ask them to respond that we're cleared to go. That way I have it in writing. I print it off and put it in my pocket in case Myrtle the ticket taker decides to play the role of exclusive night club bouncer.

I find I'm always okay at tournament games as long as it's not an elderly woman working the door. They tend to take the job of gatekeeper waaaaaay too seriously. I carry my newspaper ID, the local conference pass, business card with my photo and literally an email from the AD acknowledging my expected presence.

The email always shuts up any attempt to keep me or my writers out.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Even if it was state playoffs, the AD was being a major hard on for not letting you in. Worst possible scenario is you were standing while the game was going on.

Just curious, did you have a press pass or a badge from the paper you were working for?

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I didn't. I've probably done 100 high school freelance events and never have used a credential. I've never had one though. It's never even been brought up. Before last night the only thing I've ever had to do is pick up a reserved ticket and show my ID, but usually I've just said who I am and they let me in free.

The AD knows the editor. The editor cleared it via email the day before. Needless to say he was not very happy that I wasn't let in.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not having a badge is the root of the problem.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I covered high school games at two papers over 6 years, one of which was 12K and one of which was, at the time, 180K+. I never had a badge.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear the result of the conversation when your editor calls the AD to see why you weren't let in.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not trying to insinuate anything, but what how long before game-time did you arrive?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Next time just walk past them. Make them come drag you out.

Draft saved Draft deleted