1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A toast to the stuff you guys put up with...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Mar 3, 2012.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I went to school for journalism but tonight was the kind of night why I'm glad I didn't pursue it as a career.

I work in corp comm but I freelance on weekends to feed the itch. There's a huge high school basketball game in my area tonight. Playoffs, two huge D1 recruits, an undefeated powerhouse, etc.

I show up to cover and the game is sold out, no surprise. This was planned for. Editor cleared my name with the AD yesterday.

Well, they won't let me in. None of the old ladies let me in. AD says he doesn't know who my editor is, which is complete nonsense. AD looks exactly how you picture him; fat bloated goon, looks like a typical failed former athlete. Call the editor, try a bunch of ways to get in, no dice. Even get him on the phone and tell the AD he is ON THE PHONE, and he refuses to even entertain it.

Editor is nice enough to tell me to invoice it and he will still pay me, which I really appreciate, but this kind of shit just stuns me. I just can't believe how stupid these administrators can be. This is for the flagship paper of this area, so there will be no story. Their kids won't get covered. This is a clipping that would have gone on a lot of people's walls, and these moronic athletic dept. goons just don't seem to get it. I can't understand it.

It's no skin off me, I have my regular job and still got paid. I feel bad for the paper though and the community that won't have a story. And I know this is just the tip of the iceberg of the crap that goes on. The lack of respect was one of the things I just found intolerable about the profession.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Re: A toast to the shit you guys put up with...

That's horrible. It would be nice if the paper would run a small story explaining what happened, naming names.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The next call should have been to the superintendent of schools (somebody at the paper knows his number). Fuck the chain of command, go straight to the top.

Within 30 seconds, either Mr. Asshole AD would be profusely apologizing and offering to bring you hot dogs and popcorn at your padded courtside seat, or you would be free to name the names of everybody all the way down the food chain from the superintendent down to the flunky taking tickets at the gate.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most readers are not sympathetic on matters of access. I'd avoid drawing attention to the lack of respect you have in the community, at least on the pages of your product.

That said, it sounds like a difficult situation, and it's nice of the editor to pay you for your troubles.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The few times I had roadblocks, I always asked for the name of the person and made sure to have my pen and pad out.

When asked why, I told them I needed to be able to tell my boss and the school administrators who had caused the problem.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When the SE gets complaints about the lack of coverage - and he will - he should tell the reader that story. Emphasize the AD wouldn't let the reporter in the door. Hell, I'd write a column about it.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I told the SE the same about the column idea.

I also told him I didn't need the compensation. I know what papers are going through. Asked him to cover the gas for 15 bucks and forget about it.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does the state association not handle playoff credentials for your state?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I really expected this to be a tip of the cap to the moderators for dealing with the politics threads. :)

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

State tourney, yes.

District or regional tournament, probably not.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Bingo.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The other day I went to a high school I always have trouble getting into, and I've gone there at least once a year between the three seasons for at least 12 years.

So Tuesday I expected a problem, but it really pissed me off to see them give the little old lady bus drivers a problem. It's girls basketball and you're giving bus drivers attitude? Really?

Draft saved Draft deleted