1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Tipping Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I can relate to most of this as someone who works at very nice muni in the mountains as a cart kid. Usually a bag fee on larger outings but on normal days, the dreaded, 'I got to get some cash inside' usually results in a no tip after cleaning and carrying their bags to the drop. But, sometimes they'll come back with some money after lunch. We do pretty well all things considered. $10 for two bags has almost turned into the standard, but a day usually averages out to be $3 a bag and we typically hit 400 golfers a day from end of June to beginning of September.

Regardless, I take care of everyone like I'm getting $5 a bag. Even if I know nothing is coming. They might return the next week or so and hit you with a $20 or so.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The only time someone has tried to carry my golf bag, I had to chase him down and wrestle it away from him. Damn thieves.

expendable, I Should Coco and Batman like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I used to play craps more frequently (which means before kids); if I got on a great roll at the craps table, there's very few moments that can match that fever, I'd start throwing chips at the dealers (who are paying out) like it was confetti because, well they're paying off big. However, inevitable, there's regression to the mean right?, and at the end of the roller coaster ride, I'm thinking, "I was up $$$, then at the end broke even or lost a bit, but damn, if I hadn't tipped out $$$ I'd be really up."

Is that a familiar feeling for you?

As for playing for the dealers, I've heard almost universally that they'd prefer to just have the $$, so I give it to them rather than wager it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would usually ask them and every one would want you to wager it or say it's up to you.

Re: Restaurants, both of my boys are waiters while going to college and they get pretty good and sizing up not only what a party might tip but how long they are likely to stay at the table. They hate people who stay forever. If you have a party of four taking up a table for hours, you are losing the chance to make other tips. They especially hate it if they stay until/after closing.

I think my son said the big clue for table hoggers were if they were clearly a business group with binders and such.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting, I've often heard they'd prefer the action. Maybe some of our ex-dealers can chime in.

I've never really thought about tipped money as money not won, for me it's just the price of being there. Ditto for cocktail waitresses, which I always tip well because I want them to come around often.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I get that. BUT ... I and my party of four aren't there for the sake of the waitstaff. They're there for their meal and entertainment. If it's after closing, I get that completely. The staff should only need to work their hours. But I don't want the hairy eyeball if we milk our drinks after dinner.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The flip side of that, as a customer, is the waiter who sees the party of six coming in the door and suddenly seems to forget my wife and I exist.
    Had plenty of times where the service was at least OK, then a group comes in laughing and joking and whatnot and it's obvious the waiter has visions of a big tip. Their entire focus goes to that table and you practically have to tackle them to get another refill or the check. They become Barry Sanders in the open field with the way they're magically able to avoid your table.
    And then when I downgrade the tip because we were there an extra 20 minutes waiting for the check to come back, I become the bad guy.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I understand. One reason tipping is not a good system. But my son thinks that hosts/hostesses should take the likely lollygaggers into account and spread them around.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Excessive waiting for the check might be THE cardinal sin to me. Of course, greet us quickly, get/refill drinks, serve food that doesn't suck, etc. But when I'm done, let's close the deal. My wife I went through a period in one city where we never got checks without a huge wait. It was just bizarre. As a server, that's pretty much your last interaction and last impression. Don't eff it up by thinking we want to keep sitting there while you catch up on the rest of your tables. And as others said, don't you want someone else in those chairs?

Ace and Batman like this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Could not agree more. If I have to go get the check from the server, the tip is going to take a hit.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are really two things I ask for that will get you a decent 20-25 percent tip from me:
    1) I should never have to ask for a refill, or flag you down to get one. If I'm drilling ice cores with my straw to get at whatever Coke-water mix is buried underneath, I'm getting upset. If that goes on for more than a few minutes, I'm getting pissed.
    2) Don't hold the check hostage. I can understand being slow on asking if we're ready for it. The end of eating and the start of wrap-it-up time comes suddenly. But once I give you the card, have it back inside of five minutes.

It's also nice if you bring back the check yourself. Earlier in the thread I mentioned the waiter who damn near got the 11-cent tip from me. The reason why was she violated both of these rules. I was sitting there for 10 minutes with an empty glass and only got a refill when one of the runners brought our food. Then, at the end, she had another waiter bring us the check like we had cooties or something. No courtesy visits, no half-hearted apologies for them being short-staffed (even though they weren't that busy), no nothing. At the same time I saw her regularly checking five other tables.
    The more I think about it, the more I regret not pulling the trigger.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

As someone working in that industry now... betting for the dealers in blackjack is nice.... sometimes, it's better to just tip them. A tip goes into the box. A wager has to be won (and yes, then it is double).... but if it's lost, it's nothing more than a nice effort. In craps, bet for the dealers on the pass/don't pass, don't bet a yo or a hardways. Too hard to win.

And don't worry about being cheap, seriously. Every dollar tipped/wagered adds up. That said, you win thousands and tip me a buck, I'll remember your cheap ass!

Draft saved Draft deleted