1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Tipping Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Anything over $75, and I drop from 20 percent down to 15 percent. Did the waiter do something more in delivering a plate that cost more? No. They shouldn't automatically make more money just because I'm treating myself to a lobster instead of the penne a la vodka. It's the same effort for them to walk it from the chef to my table. Maybe they have to throw some melted butter and some shell crackers on there, but still.

I was a waiter for a number of years through high school, college and afterwards, at a high-end steakhouse. The only time I got frustrated about tips is when people would drink a lot and you were making numerous trips back and forth from the bar.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If you're tipping cows in a cornfield, be careful not to crush freq and his ladyfriend.

Vombatus, Batman and Chef2 like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I bow in your general direction.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK.
    was it freqie-dekie that ate a girl........out in the parking lot........?

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Wait ... wouldn't you want more booze as a server? That gets a tab up huge.

One of the best servers we've had has been when me and my friends go out as a group, probably because they know a bunch of mid-30s guys are gonna drink and aren't cheap ass college kid or kid just out of school. We went to some hipster bar that had two shuffleboard table with a 1-hour time limit. We took them both. People kept asking to play and our server kept telling them, "sorry, they reserved it for the night." Think she got like $300 bucks off our $700 bill.

One of my buddies is a cheap fuck. First stop on one of our bachelor party trips worked out so we were giving her a healthy tip at $37 per person, we said just make it $40 per guy so we don't have to deal with change. My buddy was furious about shelving out the extra three bucks and said we could have used it at our next stop. We all said the same thing - "Dude, she worked her ass off and we're all loud assholes so she definitely earned it."

Always remember, an extra buck might not seem like much, but it tells someone you appreciated how hard they worked.

6. Rhody31

Do we still do SJ Posts of the Year? This story is one of my favorites.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure, but if ever there's a sentence to make sure your comma is in the right position that's the one.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yur right. I'm somehow scared by kids getting refills but that could not have been the prevailing situation

9. Rhody31

When you said drinks I didn't even think of sodas and The such.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just got back from three nights in Vegas w/some old friends of ours from Australia (my wife met the husband through a pen pal program when they were in junior high). Tipping apparently isn't a thing in Australia, so the whole fucking week was them stewing over how much to leave here or there. They had their grown children/spouses with them, otherwise I'd have just handled all the tips. But, God, their obsession over some trivial amount was funny. The eight of us ate at one of the Gordon Ramsay places and the total bill (with 18% added in) was like $455. Swear on a stack they asked the waiter to change a $20 so as to not leave the extra $5 on the table.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The secret to tipping, I am told, is to have 2-3 trustworthy people who push right in the middle of the cow with significant force.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Too lazy to read the whole thread. Did anyone write that you want to approach the cow quietly?

Draft saved Draft deleted