1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A thriller writer's deceptions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is an insane -- and very lengthy but worth every word -- story about thriller writer Dan Mallory, who wrote the bestselling The Woman in the Window under the name A.J. Finn.

A Suspense Novelist’s Trail of Deceptions

Hard to break it down into a concise recap but basically he's very much a Tom Ripley minus the murder and with better email skills.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A woman asked me for The Woman in the Window while I was reading this article.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The whole story also reminded me of the main character in John Boyne's A Ladder to the Sky, and I now wonder if Boyne knew about some of the tales surrounding Mallory.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That was a long read, but well worth it. Dan Mallory is definitely a piece of work.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cheers to The New Yorker, but I read a lot of the stuff in the back of the book (the arts, books and music reviews) and it does seem that having a tragic backstory is necessary to gain any traction in the New York arts scene. Seems like every poet, author or musician that gets a mention is either depressed, abused, a refugee, an orphan or wrongfully imprisoned.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't know if it a necessity. I just think every poet, author or musician will tell you they were depressed, abused, a refugee, an orphan or wrongly imprisoned. We need to find some artists somewhere who claim to have lived happy lives to make a comparison.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. LanceyHoward

I said any artist. Saying these people are artists is like saying Shaquille O' Neal is a jockey.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, and? lol

10. LanceyHoward

Kudos. The Shaq video is reasonably authentic, at least in comparison to the music group.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Songbird likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of telling young writers they don't have to be crazy to be a good writer. It's sometimes hard to make that case.

Draft saved Draft deleted