1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A theft is a theft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 5, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not the point. The point is that someone could be charged with theft if the electricity is being paid for by someone else and there's no sign saying you can use it.

2. MisterCreosote

"Provide" is the key word.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A phone is not an automobile. Keep working on your Strawman.

But, hey, it's a "green" car that allegedly is good for the environment so I guess it's up to the rest of us to let you charge it anywhere you fucking please.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

As a matter of its legality, if you're in a public place then a power outlet in that public place would be presumed to be available for public use unless there is actual or constructive notice that it is not for public use. Otherwise, a reasonable person would infer that the outlet is there for public use. If a public official with authority to do so gives you notice that the outlet is not for public use then you're on notice and subject to whatever penalties are on the books.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And there it is.

6. Dick Whitman

Mizzou asked if we'd ever think twice about charging at an airport. SportsPredictor said people get testy about charging at a the library.

Look ... Sarah Palin!

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes. Exactly. There it is.

People who own green cars believe they're entitled to free fuel whenever they damn well please. YF was correct in asking that question earlier.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You are (likely) an airport customer . . . or a restaurant customer . . . or library customer (paid with your tax dollars). Note the key word here.

I think you would be very wrong to come into a restaurant, sit down, not order anything, and spend 30 minutes charging your laptop.

Perhaps not criminally wrong, but the establishment would have every right to ask you to leave. And if you had been warned about this and did it again, well . . .

This "public place" nonsense just doesn't fly. Whether you are a customer in said public place is much more relevant.

9. Dick Whitman

I know.

I was answering a specific question.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We remodeled our library this year and put in a lot more electrical outlets to plug things in. Kindles, phones, laptops, that's the way the world is now. We provide wireless throughout the library and now plenty of places to sit down and plug in. Every once in awhile (not so much anymore) someone will plug their computer in and drape the cord across the walkway and we'd have to ask them not to do that. Sometimes they would get testy. Some of my coworkers' attitudes comes as a reaction to this type of thing. There's still some of the, "I can't believe so and so would just come in here to use our electricity to charge his phone." Fortunately they are in the minority. But that attitude's still there.

11. MisterCreosote

A reasonable person would infer this is for public use?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Plus, the guy used a McDonald's restroom without buying anything earlier that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted