1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A theft is a theft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 5, 2013.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've picked the interpretation I've seen in court cases on trespass and property laws in the many court cases that I've covered. What definitions are referring to?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what court cases concluded that you can assume unfettered access to someone's private property unless explicitly told otherwise.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So just because your car doesn't run on gas you're automatically exempted from paying for whatever it does run on and have the right to plug in anywhere you fucking feel like it at no cost to you?

Uh, no.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone here plugged in their laptop or cell phone in a public place, like an airport? Would it even cross your mind to ask if it was OK?

This guy was warned and he did it anyway, so anything goes.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would presume at some point localities or states are going to consider or pass laws explicitly stating where, and where you can't, charge your car or other devices. I'm going to take a wild guess and say at the time those plugs were installed, nobody thought of anybody from the general public charging anything in them.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some of my coworkers get mad that people come into my library and plug in their cell phones or other devices to charge them up, even though we provide outlets for them to do just that. Some people just want to withhold things from others.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Again, charging stations in public places are very clearly marked and very plentiful. Use one and this wouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Where did you get that one from? What I'm saying is that in a place that is accessible to the public with a resource that is unimpeded, there can be an implied consent that anyone who has access to a power supply and has not been told they can't use it may do so. I think that is the case here, just as it is the case if someone were to charge one of us for charging an iPhone at a school we're covering without permission. This has nothing to do with the gas or electric debate and more so whether the public could expect reasonable access to that power supply.

It's that concept of implied consent that Mister Creosote and I disagree upon and I'm sure he's correct that a private individual has more reason to expect that a power outlet on his personal property is for his own personal use than a public entity would.

It also stands to reason that the scope and nature of the interference on property rights would be considered. I would guess that someone coming to my house and plugging in a Volt, using my power without my consent before I asked them to stop, would be looked at quite differently in most jurisdictions than someone repeatedly plugging in with the intention of stealing my electricity without my consent.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would not in a million years occur to me that I could not use an outlet at an airport, restaurant, library, or tennis court to charge my phone or laptop or Kindle. Not in a million years.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If he were charging his Hummer battery, A_QB would be just fine with it.

This has nothing to do with implied consent, for him, and everything to do with what kind of person drives an electric car - and how he votes.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Your answer lies inside this website...

http://www.energystar.gov/buildings/

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Many schools provide free wifi to the general public.

Discuss...

Draft saved Draft deleted