1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A theft is a theft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 5, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How many problems arise if, in fact, you need permission from the school in order to use this? Visitors there for school-related functions are just out of luck?
    No. The outlets at an airport are not there just for the night cleaning crew.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The ones that aren't clearly marked as sponsored charging stations are.

3. printit

printit Member

I think the key is the trespassing, not the stealing. Sit in my restaurant and order food and help yourself to electricity while you are there? Fine. Come onto property where you have no right/legitimate purpose to be AND take electricity while there? Not fine.

Having said that, I have no idea why this couldn't have been handled by criminal summons, and not an arrest.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

'Cause slapping handcuffs on a guy who's pissing you off and throwing him in jail for 15 hours is a lot more fun?

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yes, I could see the charge for trespass if he was told not to be on the tennis courts or property, but I don't think the theft charge is warranted. I would think the onus here would be on the school/school district to either lock off access to the plug or provide adequate signage that it's not for public consumption. It's like the argument about trespass that if you have a driveway/walkway, you're inviting people onto your property unless you specifically tell them they are not welcome.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have a driveway/walkway, and right there at my front door there's an electrical outlet. I guess I need to put a sign up that says that outlet's for my use only and not to top up your Chevy Volt if need be.

In all seriousness, I think the theft charge is absolutely warranted. Indeed, given that there are going to be so many more of these cars out there, I wouldn't be surprised to see dickhead moves just like this unless they get, as Barney Fife would say, nipped in the bud.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, if he took gas for his car without paying for it that would be theft. I don't see how this is any different.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

If you don't tell someone that they're not welcome on your driveway or walkway or that they're not welcome to use your electricity, and they plug in their Chevy Volt, legally, I think you'd have a hard time making an argument in most jurisdictions in North America.

I'd be surprised if the charges held up in court and it pains me to think of the time and court costs that would be expended for such a thing. if there's reasonable public access to something, particularly on public property, there best be something explicit to curtail that access, otherwise I can't blame anyone for using it.

9. MisterCreosote

You are absolutely, 100 percent wrong.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Because there's a reasonable expectation that the public pays for gas. Most every public gas station that you go to posts a price and has a price meter on its pumps. The signage tells people they're free to take the gas for compensation, whether it be paid up front, paid after inside or paid with a card at the pump. You'll also notice many gas stations have signage to the effect that fuel theft is a crime and it will be prosecuted. Without that signage, someone could make the argument it was free to use.

Someone previously mentioned the use of a water fountain and it's an apt comparison. The public has unimpeded access to a school property, unless it is fenced or signed accordingly, and unimpeded access to the power supply. There is nothing explicit stating that a fee is expected for the usage of that power supply and there is no signage or barrier that removes that access. It is the duty of the property owner to secure his or her property.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Based on?

12. MisterCreosote

Any of the existing definitions of private/personal property. Pick one.

Draft saved Draft deleted