1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Thanksgiving Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

AreaMan, you must be my long lost brother.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

But just think if the Pilgrims had shot a cat instead of a turkey ...

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a really small family, so I'm always a bit envious of people who have big family Thanksgivings, dysfunctional though they may be. My family's Thanksgiving is a little bit too quiet. The food's good, though.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed. It is my favorite holiday of the year, just because of the traditions involved in my family.

That said, I now live far away and won't be travelling. Anyone have any ideas for someone who will have the day off and nowhere to go? I'd like to at least eat a Thanksgiving meal.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you've got others at work in the same boat, invite them over and do Thanksgiving as a group. Whoever hosts cooks the bird, everybody else brings side dishes. It's actually a lot more fun than having to spend Thanksgiving listening to my BIL act like he understands football.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't know about the food, but you should see if there are any traditional T'giving sporting events in your vicinity. When I was really young, my dad took me to one of the parks in Chicago where they held a youth football jamboree every T'giving. It was pretty cool.

SC, I work on T'giving specifically because that's the only place I can be around people I know that day.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This will probably be my first Thanksgiving away from the family. I've got an offer to eat with another family, so I might do that instead of making that five-hour drive.

Go to the store and buy a small turkey and a box of Stove Top stuffing. They aren't real tough to prepare, so I've been told. Get some canned gravy, heat it up and watch some football. You'll feel like you're at home.

Or do what I was going to do last year, get a pizza, beer and Tostitos and call it a holiday.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I normally work as well, which keeps me from hosting these days, but I still help get it organized and I show up with mashed potatoes. Course I don't work till 5:30 or so.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just grab the buffet at the titty bar.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Our titty bars got shut down because of a prostitution ring.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Somebody forgot to give the cops their comp passes, methinks.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

At this point, being so far from home, I just use the holidays to build up extra vacation time. But I do miss the big family gatherings for Thanksgiving, especially since my mom's cooking has spoiled me to every other meal I've ever eaten on that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted