1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Thanksgiving Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We're hosting Thanksgiving for about 15 at our new house. This will be the first time that we're actually cooking a turkey -- when we were living in an apartment, our kitchen was too small and we ended up catering in the turkey. Mrs. W is obsessing over the meal and we've had a couple of practice runs with all sorts of sides dishes and the like.

Here's the question -- is it worth it to buy a fresh turkey from the fancy meat store or is fine to get a frozen (or fresh) turkey from the big grocery store? The cost difference is about 3x as much from the meat store, but I'm willing to pay the price if there is a difference.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Go with the regular grocery store.
    It ain't the turkey. it's what you do with it that matters.

3. KG

KG Active Member

If you know how to cook a turkey it doesn't matter. As for how-to, my strongest advice is to resist the urge to open the lid to baste while cooking. I quick basting and never remove the lid until about the time the turkey should be done. Since I started doing that, I have made the best (and very moist) turkeys ever.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I guess it depends on your budget.

I get frozen turkeys, cook them on the Weber kettle and they always turn out fantastic.

Tell Mrs. W it's not worth obsessing over the meal -- what happens, happens and there are no guarantees that everything will go without a hitch no matter how hard you try.

Good luck!

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Hmmm ... I'm intrigued, because I too am in Webster's dilemma. Tell me more.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

It's not as though the meat will be any different in the more expensive store, it's like Neiman Marcus, you pay more for the name.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Be sure to invite someone named Lou. Hilarity will ensue.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BUY FRESH. You get what you pay for.

The real Thanksgiving question is how come the NFL schedule almost always sucks?
    Colts v. Falcons? royal suckage. Jets. V Cowboys? putrid suckage.

And who would have thought that any Detroit Lions game would be worth watching?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you can find a source for authentic free range turkeys, go for the fresh one everytime.

Problem is most birds sold as "free-range" turkeys are raised in the same appalling conditions as your typical frozen bird.

And if they're fed the same antibiotics, animal by-products, hormones, preservatives or additives as the genetically engineered frozen ones, you're just being conned.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

For 15 people, I think I would roast two 10-12 pound turkeys. Sure, there will be leftovers, but they will be YOUR leftovers. I might be wrong, but I don't think one turkey could satisfy 15 people, unless perhaps five of them are toddlers.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Interesting. I have access to free range birds from the local meat locker. They claim they're in-state birds, raised in the local Amish country, with no extra crap (steroids, JDV enhancers, etc.).

So you're saying I should seriously consider one of those?

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I think the plain ol' frozen ones are just as good, and that is stated without ever having had a free-range one. I just don't think three times the money will equate to three times a better bird.

And, as insurance, you might want to have a ham on stand-by just in case the turkey goes south.

Draft saved Draft deleted