1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Texas Tech tradition unlike any other......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8365791/texas-tech-red-raiders-billy-gillispie-no-longer-making-decisions-team-focus-health

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hope they don't bring back Bob Knight. Or Pat Knight. Gerald Myers would be OK; Tech could go back to being the doormat of the league (sort of like last year).

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like Gillispie actually distinguishes himself by what an asshole he is, which is a remarkable achievement in that profession.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's too bad Tech didn't have anywhere they could look for prior examples of Gillispie's behavior before they hired him...

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No shit. I think the Kentucky hiring of him really got to his head. Gave him a bad case of "Billy Bad Ass Syndrome".....Now.....he will be lucky to be coaching a juco.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Kentucky believed he was the hottest thing in college basketball at the time. And those two years, and this is coming from UK fans, were the darkest years ever in the history of that program ...

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood what Kentucky saw in the guy. I know that sounds like hindsight, but I said it at the time, too.

He had a couple decent seasons at Texas A&M. OK, fine. Doesn't mean he's going to turn the world upside down at Kentucky. A&M is such a great job that Mark Turgeon bolted for Maryland at the first opportunity. Check and see how Texas A&M does in the SEC this winter.

The whole thing was just a head-scratcher.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that hire will go down as one of the worst made by a big-time program.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, he's an ultimate dick as a basketball coach.

He'd be an average football coach, though.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A&M beat Louisville in the tournament.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was the flavor of the month at just the right time... Plenty of those guys become busts as hires... Stan Heath anyone? The only difference is the flavors of the month don't usually wind up at Kentucky...

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The Kentucky folks obviously never talked to any of BCG's staffers (or their families) at A&M.

Draft saved Draft deleted