1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A telling detail about ESPN's coverage of USC being mad at Musberger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Sep 19, 2006.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

So Southern Cal is angry that Brent Musberger gave away a signal during the USC-Nebraska telecast. Fine. That's another worthy debate.

Here's my beef: Check out the lede to ESPN.com's story on it on its Web site.

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California formally complained that ABC-TV's Brent Musburger revealed privileged information in play-by-play commentary during Saturday's game against Nebraska.

Whoa. I thought there was no such thing anymore as ABC Sports -- all the Mouse's sports falls under the ESPN umbrella. So why, then, is Musberger cited as being from "ABC-TV?"

In the 2nd graf it explains that ESPN "oversees sports programming on ABC." But isn't this really just a sneaky, underhanded way for ESPN to say "That wasn't OUR fault -- blame ABC"?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2594565

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For some reason this reminds me of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, or the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles. I can't remember.

3. deportes

deportes Member

if the info cost usc the game, then complain. but it didn’t, so shut up usc.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's a funny way of phrasing it. in two-plus years of law school we have yet to learn about a thing called coach-player privilege.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here's the thing USC -- if you don't want it revealed. Then don't tell it to a reporter.

Yes, it seems wierd calling Musburger a reporter, but that's what he is in this instance.

If the question was asked about communicating with your receivers about coverages, then just say you do and leave it at that. I have no pity for you if you show your hang loose signal to Musberger or anyone else.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well it didn't cost them the game but they'll need to change their signals now. Not a big deal but I can see why they'd have a issue with it. The kid shouldn't have told him that though.

7. I thought it was cute that they ran a photo from Brent's days as CBS's college bb play-by-play guy.
    That was 1990, boys.
    Nothing in the ABC blazer available.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I read an article about this yesterday, and here's the thing.

Pete Carroll isn't mad about it.

The QB isn't mad about it.

The offensive coordinator isn't mad about it - says they change the hand signal every week anyway.

And the SID makes it sound like ABC was threatening national security.

Methinks the USC AD may be attempting to deflect criticism from the growing little problem of Reggie Bush.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

"Unconscionable."

Ooooooh-K, Tim.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

And I do recall a situation from the opening Sunday-nighter: Either Madden or Michaels mentioned how the Colts' silent snap starts when center Jeff Saturday (love that name) lifts his head after watching Peyton Manning lift his leg. I didn't hear the Colts complain about that.

I then noticed this week the Giants doing the same thing, but no mention was made on the air by Aikman or Buck.

11. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Yeah, well, I bet USC is in a snit with ALL reporters right about now. Tessalone has probably been working overtime for a week on the Reggie Bush stuff.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure they did, we just didn't hear about it. The Colts complain about everyfuckingthing. I have no doubt that Craig Kelley was banging on the NBC production door within nanoseconds ...

Draft saved Draft deleted