1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Sunni Iraqi sheik who seems to have it straight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Jan 23, 2007.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

RAMADI, IRAQ — At 35, he is younger than many sheiks. And his Sunni Arab tribe is not one of the largest in Al Anbar province. But Sheik Sattar Bazeaa Fatikhan projects the aura of power and seriousness that comes to a man who has taken a stand.

After Sunni insurgents killed his father and four of his brothers last year, Fatikhan declared war against the insurgency.

He convened a summit of about a dozen prominent sheiks. From that meeting came a document called "The Awakening," in which Fatikhan persuaded all but one sheik to join him in opposition to the insurgency.

The sheiks pledged to encourage young men to join the police force and even the Shiite-led army. The document states that killing an American is the same as killing a member of their tribes. Since the gathering, Fatikhan said, the sheiks have "eliminated" a number of insurgents.

Continue reading it here.....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-sheik23jan23,1,448732.story?coll=la-headlines-world

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Let's make this guy president.

(Of Iraq, I mean. Just wanted to make that clear.)

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

CNN would probably infer he's a racist for opposing Obama

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am very impressed. I'm surprised Bush hasn't pointed him out as an example of what is going right in the country, stories like this could help his image here.

5. This is yet another I'll Believe It When I See It story for me.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can understand your skepticism F_B, but this appears to be on the up and up. Just because most things aren't going well in Iraq doesn't mean there can't be glimmers of hope from some sources.

7. GBH --
    I'm not saying that this guy's a plant, or a disinformation campaign or something. (Although he may turn into one, if only for his own survival.) That's not my point. I'm going to wait and see if he develops some kind of constitiuency, or just becomes another local chieftain with his own army, looking for a cut of whatever comes out of the chaos. I mean, in their own way, the Shiite death squads are "fighting the insurgents" too.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But can he defend against the spread offense?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He puts 8 in the box and then blows up the mutha-fucking box

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No way you can defend the spread with 8 in the box. You'll get killed deep.

11. End of thread.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I for one hope he's as honorable as he sounds. I think the fact that he's younger, has been directly affected by the conflict and has the ear of the people in the area are all positive signs. His progressiveness is impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted