1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A story the conspiracy theorists will love...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No way.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is just ridiculous.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm a 30-plus-year Lakers fan and there is no doubt 2002 Game 6 against the Kings was rigged.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Meh. It was a poorly-officiated game, but the Kings still played soft and scared that day.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is no way a team with Chris Webber leading them would ever play scared and soft.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This article really crystallizes a few things I have long pondered:

- How much were the Kings paid to miss all those free throws in Game Seven?
    - Who did Stern have hire the people who murdered Michael Jordan's father, since obviously he couldn't do it himself?
    - Not even so much concerned with the Draft Lottery as much as all those calls the Knicks got during Ewing's career that enabled them to win multiple titles.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Game 7 was fixed. The Kings played so badly that it was never an issue.

I think conspiracy theorists believe that the NBA/Stern wanted the series to go seven games, not necessarily fix it so the Lakers won, even though it worked out that way.

That series got crazy ratings, and was followed by one of the lowest-rated finals ever.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Passing on Kevin Durant is a nice example that Portland does just fine fucking things up on their own without any shadowy help.

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with the 1984 draft. Portland just shit the bed by passing on Jordan and Perkins and Barkley...

It happens...

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Taking LaRue Martin No. 1 overall in 1972 is a better one.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I just happened to be thumbing through Bob Knight's autobiography last night, and came across a page where he was talking to Portland's GM.

Knight: "You have to take Jordan."
    The GM: "Bob, we need a center."
    Knight: "Then play Jordan at center, then. Believe me, you have to take Jordan."
    Of course, the Blazers took Sam Bowie.

Even worse, the Pacers traded that pick to Portland for another future Hall of Famer, Tom Owens, whom I don't ever really remember ever suiting up for the Pacers more than a year or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted