1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A story the conspiracy theorists will love...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am an admitted conspiracy theorist when it comes to sports...

I loved this article...

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/hruby-tuesday/201205/conspiracy-theory-david-stern-michael-phelps-patrick-ewing-michael-jordan

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Very entertaining.

3. That was a great read, although, it took me forever to get through it yesterday because I kept getting sidetracked reading up on the incidents mentioned in the story.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Two things jump out at me: Dale Jr.'s win in 2001 and the 2002 Western Conference finals as possibly being fixed.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I watched the 1985 draft lottery on You Tube a few times after reading that and it's something I've watched several times before...

Just a very enjoyable read...

6. Mizzougrad96

I covered both events, although I'm assuming they're talking about Dale Jrs. win at the Pepsi 400 at Daytona.

I think the Dale Jr. win made a little bit of sense since it was one of his teammates who basically allowed him/helped him win.

7. Tarheel316

Yes, Mizzou, the July race. It seemed rather convenient.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it was all pretty absurd. I just remember the drivers after the race saying things like, "This is the best thing that could have happened for NASCAR."

I actually remember USA Today doing a pretty good job on the coverage and that it was enough to really piss off the heads of NASCAR.

Although, that was nothing compared to Game 6 Lakers-Kings.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The only one of those "conspiracies" I believe is Michael Jordan's retirement. That was absolutely a cover for a gambling suspension.

10. Tarheel316

Mizzou, I agree about Game 6. That was a travesty. The Kings were playing 5-on-8 in the fourth quarter.

11. Mizzougrad96

It was definitely unlike any event I ever covered. There was a longtime NBA writer who walked into the press room and he said, "I have no idea what to write after that."

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Along with Dale Jr. at Daytona in '01 and the '02 Western Conference finals, I believe the 1984 NBA draft was rigged. I understood Olajuwon at No. 1, but no way the league wanted Michael Jordan in Portland when Chicago was an option. No other explanation for the Trail Blazers taking Sam Bowie. (Drexler? Whatever.) And before you say "hindsight," I was suspicious at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted