1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A Star Player Accused'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Part of the problem is very often (not always) we're dealing with prosecutors who want nothing to do with cases like this. As crazy as it is to say, Tallahassee has a reputation as being more aggressive than most college towns. I'm guessing that has something to do with being the state capital, and one would presume would have better prosecutors on staff than in some other college towns.

I guarantee you it's far worse in Gainesville and other college towns. I remember years and years ago, the Orlando paper wrote a story about the Gainesville DA who had his office plastered in Gator memorabilia, including personalized autographs and said he was a booster, a season-ticket holder and a fan.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a cop or prosecutor in Miami who would be on the 'Canes sidelines during their hey day for every game, cheering like a little kid for them?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My law school roommate has practiced in central Florida his whole career. He told me that there was a now-retired judge in Alachua County (which included Gainsville) who would frequently dress in Gator colors (blue jacket and orange tie or orange jacket and blue tie) and had a big signed picture of the Old Ball Coach on his desk in chambers. Think any Gator athletes had to worry when they appeared in front of him?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And alcohol. When male cops hear "I was drunk" or "I blacked out and awoke in someone's room" a bias can set in. It's why it's so important that a woman, if it all possible, is involved immediately in the process.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly. Sometimes those guys have no choice and they have to prosecute, but if there is a benefit of the doubt that can be given, you can bet they got it.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would be difficult to top the judge who called Andruw Jones "magnificent" and predicted greatness in the middle of a child-support hearing.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%. I think that fits under the sexism/slut shaming, but yeah, there's definitely a "she was asking for it" attitude among (male) law enforcement if they hear you were drinking at all.

And, if a woman omits any detail to avoid embarrassment and/or shame, they use that against her, and treat her as a liar.

8. LongTimeListener

I thought Meggs' incredulity that they just called Winston instead of going to question him was pretty powerful. As he noted, you never know what the guy might say -- including an initial denial that he was anywhere near her, which would then make DNA evidence more powerful.

I find it difficult to chalk that up to incompetence -- I mean, I guess it's possible that a detective could be that clueless about how to get information, but it doesn't seem like he'd be a detective that long. So that's another place where I go to intent, I think it was a sneaky way to let him know that, hey, now we have to come and talk to you so be prepared.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So if Winston was questioned without a lawyer and lied about having sex, you would be ok with sending him away for rape even though there is no evidence to prove the case?

10. LongTimeListener

If he wasn't a suspect, he doesn't need a lawyer. That's like constitutional and everything.

My point, and Meggs' point, is that if he is caught in a lie, that lays a different groundwork for the entire case. It happens all the time with defendants who aren't star quarterbacks.

You are wearing garnet and gold, aren't you?

11. Dick Whitman

Where in the world do you get that from what he said?

12. Dick Whitman

The right to remain silent begins when a person is in custody. So even if you're a suspect, you don't necessarily have a right to a lawyer - or to get read your Miranda rights.

Draft saved Draft deleted