1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A Star Player Accused'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was Scott Bentley, the kicker. I remember because Florida is one of the rare states in which both parties must consent to the taping of a conversation and it was a criminal event.

"Date rape" is extremely hard to prove. But if the police don't try, it is even tougher.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The part about Angulo working for the FSU booster club is the least surprising development of the year.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a movement afoot for more transparency in policing. It's a thin line, obviously, due to the fact that the open nature of an investigation requires that some things are withheld. But both the NYT and the Chicago Tribune have had stories in the last two weeks about how convicted inmates have been exonerated due to information contained in hidden files that were never shared with the prosecution. The Winston affair shows it goes both ways - not that he's guilty, but even if he were, the botched investigation was never going to lead to a conviction.

In the '80s, Wall Street became more transparent. In the 2010s, perhaps this, detective work, will come under the microscope.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Incompetence" presumes the police actually intended to do their job properly. Which, in this case, I'd call a leap.

Now if the true motive was to prevent charges and save a title-contending season through sandbaggery, evasion and delay tactics ...well, they did a pretty damn good job.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Saving the "title-contending season" is a huge leap because at the time of the incident, Winston was fourth on the depth chart and redshirting.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They didn't know the suspect was the star quarterback of a title-contending team at first.

They still didn't care.

They may have actively avoided investigating the claim once they knew who the suspect was, but it was incompetent from the start.

7. Dick Whitman

I think it's more incompetence than anything more sinister, to be quite honest.

Cops think that they have superior instincts. Remember the scene in "True Detective" when the guy is false confessing, and Woody Harrelson looks at McConaughey and McConaughey just shakes his head like, "It's not him."

I think that's how cops often think: We know. We can tell.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's not overlook laziness as a root cause, combined with sexism/misogyny.

9. Dick Whitman

Arrogance. Laziness. Sexism.

A potent recipe. And the end result is the tale linked above.

10. LongTimeListener

Once it landed on Angulo's desk, throwing the case was intent, not incompetence. He is on the FSU football program's payroll, for Christ's sake. It didn't matter that it was Winston, only that it was a football player.

However, the idea that Winston was an unknown redshirt fourth-stringer is straight bullshit. He was the most highly sought recruit in the country or at least among the top 10. That's a famous athlete, period

11. Dick Whitman

When did he get involved? I can't recall the timeline. He's the one who said that it was closed due to lack of cooporation from the accuser, correct? Of course, I've yet to see that documented. Don't these people ever take notes?

12. LongTimeListener

I'm assuming he was the lead investigator from the beginning, Dick.

Probably an article be done about just how he got involved. Normal spin of the wheel or did he at any point say "I got this"?

It's becoming clearer all the time that teams and leagues know the way to protect their guys is not with big-money lawyers but by making sure the investigation gets bungled.

Would also like to see the NCAA look into just how David Cornwell's legal bills are being paid. He is a high-priced attorney and an agent to boot. They kick baseball players out for daring to be represented in negotiations, but this one's all good?

Draft saved Draft deleted