1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A star among the stars: Voyager I leaves the solar system

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff. The imagination for further exploration, manned or unmanned, has definitely tapered over a generation or two. Not surprising, I guess. When you think about it, the powers that be know that there's no way we can cheaply and easily go to another world and find a way to make a dollar. If there's no profit in it, then why bother? Education? Screw that.

I also believe that there are other intelligent beings on other words, but we're the most advanced (terrifying thought, right?) so we'll never be visited and we'll probably never develop manned space flight like the movies show us. It's all fantasy. We're never getting off this rock. No one is coming to us.

2. Why would humans be the most advanced?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because of the minimum of 200,000,000,000 stars in the Milky Way Galaxy and the 100,000,000,000 billion galaxies in the known universe, God made only man in his image and Jesus of Nazarath as his only Son who died for all of our sins. Therefore, not only are humans the most advanced, humans are the only living beings in 2*10 to the 22nd power or 20 sextillion solar systems. And of those humans only 31.2% get to go to heaven.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

unless that's all a load of crap.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Interplanetary and interstellar space is very, very empty. I forget where I read it, but I recall something like the "official estimates" are the Pioneers/Voyagers could continue on 100,000 years or more before the odds of them hitting something sizable (grain of sand or larger) would be significant.

Although it could also happen tomorrow.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

How about celebrating the science, and keeping this thread on point, instead of taking swipes at religion?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a good idea.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In the limit (i.e., as t approaches infinity) the probability of Voyager hitting something approaches 1. But the probability of it hitting something before the end of the universe (which we'll assume will occur at some point prior to t = infinity) is nevertheless pretty damn small.

Interstellar space is so empty that I really can't get my mind around it. I read about its "density" and chuckle ...

http://www.space.com/22729-voyager-1-spacecraft-interstellar-space.html

9. Bradley Guire

I just find the concept funny that there are aliens but we won't see them because we can't achieve interstellar travel and they can't either.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We and the aliens are probably better off that way - forever apart.

Just look at what humans of slightly different variations have done to each other when their elbow room gets crowded - they usually kill.

Aliens? Would probably fuck us up badly. Just their germs alone makes me quiver.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ours would probably do the same to them. Remember "War of the Worlds?"
    They have death rays. We have the common cold, bitch.

12. Bradley Guire

Plus, extraterrestrial STDs.

In the "V" reboot, did the kid know that Supergirl from "Smallville" was a lizard person? And he was gonna get freaky with that. Yech.

Draft saved Draft deleted