1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag... (RIP Captain Beefheart)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vicd, Dec 17, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Owned Trout Mask album. Couldn't get into it. I remember Joe Strummer loved the guy. That's about it.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great thread title. I have to be in just the right mood to listen to Captain Beefheart, but he was definitely unique. RIP.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Once he ordered two dozen sets of sleighbells for a recording session with zappa. When it was pointed out to him that there were only seven people at the session, and with each one holding a set of sleighbells in each hand, that still only accounted for 14 of them. When asked what they would do with the extra bells, Beefheart replied, ``We'll overdub them!''
    God bless the eccentrics!

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Safe as Milk is a really great album, everything else is kind of an acquired taste. Trout Mask Replica took at least four or five listens before it grew on me. Anyway, here's the guy in action. RIP.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oddly compelling to watch a man with no singing talent and little artistic ability become a pop icon. Quite an interesting BBC documentary.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Leonard Cohen phenomenon: get a few hip fans, and others will follow, pretending hard that they "get it"

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

Yeah, it took a few listens for me too. I'd latch on to the catchy riff parts here and there. Then it hit me like a collection of pop nuggets.
    Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) is also a really good record from the later years.

It's nice to hear the Cap'n embrace synths. (sort of)

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

Here's a really great tribute to the Captain from the day after he died.
    http://www.eastvillageradio.com/news/items.aspx?id=18756
    The DJ credits one of my old Gainesville bands as turning him on to Beefheart. I guess that makes me "hip"? Who knew?

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

I guess I'm voting for Huntsman...
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2011/09/06/jon_huntsman_passes_the_captain_beefheart_test.html

Slate: Do you have a particular favorite era of Beefheart?

Huntsman: I'd have to say that I like Trout Mask Replica, which came out in '68, all the way through Bat Chain Puller -- I mean, they represent the diversity of Beefheart. I'm a fan of the really innovative spirit of Beefheart came with the Magic Band, and they really hit it off in '68.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Do you know how this came up? I was a political reporter at one time...and never asked specifically about capt. beefheart....I am slightly in awe.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So you're the one!

12. vicd

vicd Active Member

Apparently Huntsman has tweeted about Beefheart before. He's just won the circa-1993 college record store clerk vote!

Draft saved Draft deleted