1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A square peg in a round hole -- or how to cook ribs on a gas grill

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jul 18, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The rack of St. Louis Ribs looked so good at Whole Foods yesterday that I bought two. (About 5 pounds total)
    Not going to debate how to prepare them (dry rub has been applied -- Lynchburg dry rub on one, Wee Willy's on the other and they are wrapped in Saran Wrap and sitting in the fridge until like 5 p.m.), but how to cook them.
    I remember one date in my 20s, when my attempts to woo the young lady were BYH-like in their futility -- shattered in less than 8-seconds. I had the ribs prepped and times on my small kettle Weber grill; She was running late to come over for dinner. By the time she arrived, it was like beef jerky on a bone.
    Since then, I haven't cooked ribs much and usually country style because there's more meat.
    I have a nice gas grill and, surprisingly, some Jack Daniel's pellets for smoking.
    We're not here to debate the merits of gas v. charcoal.
    We're here because I have no idea how long to cook the ribs. I know "low and slow." But low on my grill is still pretty damn hot.
    I'll pouch the pellets (shaddup) so I get some smoky flavor. But I also know that I should use indirect heat -- putting something like a cookie sheet over the burner covers to avoid direct flame. Or should I...
    Hep me!

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure about a gas grill, but I've done ribs in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (give or take a few minutes).
    Another time, we split them between the oven and the grill. Cooked them in the oven (at 350 degrees) for about 30 minutes, then went to a friend's house where we put them on the grill for another 20 or 30. They turned out pretty well. So I'd guess 45 minutes to an hour if you're going straight to the grill, then go from there.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I always start mine off in the oven. Brush some sauce on them and seal them in an aluminum foil pouch. Make sure the seal is good and tight, but the foil is loose-fitting on the ribs, if you get what I mean. Cook them on a baking sheet at 300 degrees for 2 or 2 1/2 hours. That gets them fall-off-the-bone tender.

Then I fire up the grill and throw them on for about 8 minutes per side to get a good crust on them. You can brush more sauce on at the end or leave them dry.

This method has aways turned out perfect for me.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like the idea, but also just want to set on the grill and smoke away... so to speak

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Be sure an take the saran wrap off first.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I cook ribs on a gas grill all the time. Preheat the entire grill on high. Turn one side down to medium-low and turn off the other side. Put the ribs on the flame-free side and cook for about 30 minutes, lid closed. Flip 'em, and cook for another 30 minutes. Then start checking them; when the meat starts to pull away from the end of the bone -- in about 15 to 30 minutes -- they're done. Always had good luck with this method.

Draft saved Draft deleted