1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sportswriting first

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jun 6, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why, silentbob, do you need to write "coach refused an interview request" if you can talk to the players?
    It is not important nor required to quote the coach unless you have nothing else. You are all making way too much of what a high school coach has to say.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

So what happens if you want to know why he took out the pitcher after five innings? Or why he chose to intentionally walk the No. 7 hitter in the sixth? Or why he didn't bunt with two on and nobody out in the 8th.

Yes, prep sports is about the kids, but you have to try and talk to the coach if it's possible. Not saying you have to quote him. But you have to try and talk with him. He's the best source (not quote) you got.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, talk to the players, They often will tell you much more than the coach wants you to know.

And if the coach won't talk, there is no reason to say he refused to comment. That is only antagonizing a prick who will then make your life more miserable.

And one other thing... it's "try to" not "try and"

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Some good advice on this thread from a lot of smart people.

My $0.02 (Cdn): I would continue to give the coach a chance to comment. It doesn't hurt and won't cost you anything to let him know the door is always open if and when he changes his mind. That doesn't necessarily mean you would hound him after each game; just make it clear by your presence and demeanour that you would welcome his input.

I agree there is no point in letting the world know he won't comment. The space you would devote to that line of copy would be better filled with some extra game colour or another telling quote.

It's important to reiterate that nobody tells you what's off the record, especially after the fact.

Bottom line - if the coach has a bug up his ass about the media in general and it seems to have nothing to do with you personally, don't make it personal. Just go about your business and keep doing the best job possible.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've read this thread any time it's updated. I still don't understand how a coach refusing to comment is a "first."

6. bob

bob Member

I haven't covered high schools in many years, but from my experience, talking to most high school kids was a waste of time because they're so inarticulate. I'd also be really tempted to write, "Coach so-and-so REFUSED comment" rather than "declined." I think that lets the parents know what you're up against.

7. noodles

noodles Member

Give the coach a chance to comment, then say he had no comment in writing your gamer. And stick to the kids. You can find someone who will say something.

Quoting coaches at the high school level is a big waste of time. Rarely does one have anything interesting to offer other than your standard group of cliches.

Can't stand when our prep guys file their stories with a running dialogue from only the coach after Johnny had five hits and six RBI. The kids are the story at that level. Get to them.

The guy that won't talk? Screw him. Let him see that you can still do your job and do it well without his cooperation. He acts like he doesn't need you? Show him you don't need him.

At the end of the day, he's just.....a high school baseball coach.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's not a first, unless perhaps it's a first for this writer.

Coaches don't have to talk to the media. It's not a required part of the job, certainly not at the high school level. Is it silly not to answer questions after a game? Sure. If anything, it's refreshing to see a coach declining to be interviewed after a win -- I'd think 90 percent of the "not tonight" answers are after losses.

Don't bring more attention to it than you have to. If you cover him again, just ask after the game: Coach, do you have a minute to talk about the game? If he's making players available, I'm sure the seniors on the team can convey the sentiments of the team and add perspective to your story.

How long a prep gamer are you writing? In my prep days, it was a rare baseball gamer that had room for more than one or two quotes ...

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I wonder if somewhere along the way something he said to his players DID work its way into print ... even so, a coach quote is something I use only as a last resort ...

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think it's more along the lines of he's refusing to comment on the fact that his team just won a championship.

Which, if it isn't a first, it's definitely pretty rare.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I think "declined comment" is much softer than "refused comment." I've had coaches too worked up after losses say they didn't want to talk because they didn't want to rant about the refs. It might be a lame excuse, but I find the kids and that usually works. But if a coach is a dick about it, then it's "refused comment." I've only had that happen a few times.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Imjustagirl:

I meant it was a first for me ... not a coach declining to comment, but declining to comment after a big win...

I've had plenty of coaches decline to comment for other reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted