1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A splendid story falls in my lap courtesy of a talented water polo parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because they don't give a shit about the product, they just care that their little brats get their names in the paper in the misguided hope that if it happens enough times, they won't have to pay for their offspring's philosophy degree at PartytillUPassOut University, which is 15 minutes from Tahoe.

When I first saw this thread, for some reason, I thought that, for once, a parent actually had a good story. Nope.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Sandy High School thinks all its opponents are the same team with different names

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Meat, that's good stuff.

Still, it's a good story, isn't it? Regardless of how little interest the game gets (hell, its rule book shares space with swimming and diving for NFHS) an upstart team wins is something people like to read about.

In fact, you could probably land the movie rights, too.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was expecting a Tennis Mom story.

Very disappointing...

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

You guys have had some bad luck with parents. Granted, I've had limited contact with them, but they've helped provide me scoops and piece together enterprise story ideas. I guess I've been lucky.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I think we can all appreciate a tip coming from a parent or a reasonably asked question or concern, but I think most of us get tired of hearing snarky comments from know-it-all parents, who don't have a clue about the business.

7. You guys have so much contempt for your readers.

It's repulsive.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Either you haven't been in the business very long, or you're just trying way too hard to please everyone.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

or you're not a journalist at all...and just someone who stumbled onto the site.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or he's a parent who's called up reporters to complain before.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Or he's playing devil's advocate and saying man up and let it go. I don't mind these threads, but I could see how they get on people's nerves.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't start this thread, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted