1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A southern sheriff's jail, part 1 of 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maumann, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My niece's husband got a massive break with his first DUI. He wasn't as lucky when he got picked up again about a month after sentencing, drunk and with a fresh case in his car. Wasn't supposed to drive if it wasn't to work but he needed more beer so he headed out to get some.

He put a lot of people at risk. And HE got weekends in jail.

Thankfully, he seems to have cleaned his stuff up since then.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

1. Yes. We discussed it but my lawyer strongly suggested getting it done in one fell swoop for a few reasons. One, the anxiety level -- and the time spent in holding cells -- from constantly having to readjust to jail over an 18-week span was probably going to be more stressful on me, and I'd be placed in different cells or blocks every weekend, depending on vacancies. Two, there was the possibility the sheriff would then require me to serve the entire 60 days instead of 60 percent for good behavior. Three, it allowed me to get the rest of the terms (community service, fines, probation) started more quickly, even if the end date doesn't change. The fewer probation officer visits, the better.

I've wondered about the other option, since Gwen was struggling with work, one very sick rabbit, the bills and various other issues of having to run things by herself. But prolonging the agony might have left me even more messed up for a longer period of time.

2. HA! There were 2 1/2 crazy conflicts that I hope to touch on in Part 2, and one weird sexual behavior that indirectly led to the women's block being locked down for an entire day. So many stories, a 1,000 word post limit.

And I apologize for wasting all of your time with these long, involved descriptions. I'll try to wrap up Part 2 this morning and an epilogue.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Waste time? Your descriptions are excellent (obviously, your experience wasn’t), and give all of us here a unique look into the criminal justice system. Thank you for sharing.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If we still had Posts of the Year around here, these jailhouse chronicles would easily win.

SmallPotatoes can play Maumann in the Netflix series.

5. maumann

The Vin Scully monologue and the Thanksgiving Giblets are the gold standard. I'm a pale imitation, like Michelob Light.

6. Moderator1

But we get more cred for knowing you, so that vaults you to the head of the class

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Prison Spades is how I was taught to play - although we didn't call it that. No nil, team must bid minimum 4 books. You can bid 10 for 2 (double points on the line win or lose).
    We played Ace high when it came to spades, although I was eventually introduced to bastardizations that included High Joker and Low Joker, and inexplicably put the two of spades as the third highest trump card.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

That's awesome!

I saw Euchre for the first time last winter. I'm going to ask to play when we're back in Florida again.

9. Moderator1

Related but unrelated, American Prison is high on my reading list though I think your book would be better.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I spent one 24-hour stint in jail in Coconino County, AZ in 2000 when I was convicted of a DUI. Your description of the challenges of sleeping are dead on. I tried staying up all night before I had to check in at 6 a.m., hoping that I would be able to just sleep much of the day away. Wrong. A 1/2-inch foam mattress on a steel bunk with a flat pillow. Lights that never went off. Constant noise. It was miserable. My back hurt like hell from trying to sleep on that contraption. I understand jail isn't supposed to be a hotel, nor is it supposed to be pleasant. But it was borderline torture. I did get to experience the Monday night joy (for the longtimers) that was Commissary Night, where they made some sort of Frito Pie like thing out of Ramen and Cheetos.

maumann likes this.
  11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The silliness of the “2 is higher!” Rule always make me laugh.

People realize any arbitrary ordering of the cards is just as valid as any other ordering, right?

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

My back, head and stomach were in agony the entire six weeks. Jail is not comfortable.

There's not a single seat/chair in there with a backrest, even the toilet (where I did most of my reading, because the light was best and you could at least lean against the wall). My commissary purchases were always the maximum allowed amounts of Tylenol, Advil and Tums.

Yeah, heard about Frito Pie.

Draft saved Draft deleted