1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Sorkin-related question, mostly for the ladies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 7, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They downplayed Demi's character way too much in AFGM. You're right...she was tough and independent and didn't need to be secondary to Grand Poobah Cruise.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I never saw the play on which the movie was based. I wonder if the female character there (and I don't know who played either lead) was as secondary; that is, did they have to make Moore's character that way to avoid pissing off Cruise?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Did Sorkin write a romance plot line between Kaffee and Galloway that was downplayed/eliminated in the movie?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

God I hope so. My estimation of Demi would have fallen several notches if they had hooked up.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is an interesting conversation. And those of you who have made this point – that all of Sokin's characters are flawed in some fashion – is a good one.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think Isaac's stroke was a part of Sorkin's planning for the character. Robert Guillaume had a stroke, on the set of the show if IMDB is to be believed, and it was written into the show.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I saw the play a few years before the movie came out, and the role of the Demi Moore character was not even a woman.

Thanks for the kind words, DD.

I still don't think CJ asking Danny for help/advice is a "flaw."

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

or a sign of weakness.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not a lday, but part of what makes Sorkin's shows good to me is that each character did have a flaw. Just like in real-life where in one aspect you can be in complete control and in another be an alcoholic.
    The only character that I don't recall a flaw in was Dule Hill's, who had a tragic backstory, but everyone else had some awful demon in the background that influenced how they did things and Sorkin let the viewers in on it.
    In a lot of ways, those flaws mirrored Sorkin's real-life experiences and that just made the stories that much stronger.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Charlie was a killer. He had Mandy's body hidden in a closet for 7 years. ;D

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No jury in the world would convict him for killing Mandy.

12. Can't add much, except that Demi Moore in AFGM is really a bad actress.
    And that I thought, in both SportsNight and WW, Sorkin wrote fine, strong female characters, both of which were played by Joshua Malina.

Draft saved Draft deleted