1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A soon-to-be-running NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So who is this guy the Wizards drafted?  If it has been discussed, sorry.  Discuss it again.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Farmar remains in the same city.

UCLA to L.A. Lakers.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Isaiah is the real life Rachel Phelps, from the movie Major League. He's actively trying to ruin that team. I don't care if you don't draft Williams, but you don't draft a 6-5 forward who averaged less than 10 points a game. Holy shit they're a disaster.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

Moddy...Here is your draft pick's chat transcript from ESPN.com.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Again, he would certainly have been there at 29 and almost certainly would have been there in the mid-second round.

But the Knicks have scorers. If what some of the heads were saying is true, and the Knicks need somebody to come out, bust ass, grab some rebounds and clean shit up around the rim, Balkman will be perfect for them. If the fans give him a chance, they'll love him.

And I'll be the first to admit I'm not even close to impartial when it comes to Balkman. Love the guy. You couldn't always count on him scoring -- in fact, you were better off not counting on him scoring -- but you could always count on him working harder than anybody on the court.

6. The Duke

The Duke Member

how's this.
    hold the NBA Draft with no players, no fans, no media, nothing.
    Let the teams trade half of their rosters and potential roster moves, whatever.
    Get up at 9 a.m. tomorrow and release rosters.
    Kinda like Little League when you pick the kid with the hottest mom, or one who has a pool for the postseason party .... or when you get your homeroom assignments in third grade.

these trades and this draft are simply silly!

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Why would the league give up the chance to hold a glitzy event?

8. NDub

NDub Guest

That's funny.

Honest question: Have you seen Balkman play?

Points/scoring really isn't his thing. Dude hustles his butt off and seems to enjoy playing D. He's got quick hands and can run the floor.

Also, he was on fire during the NIT and was knocking down about 15-16/game.

Though he may be late first or early second round material, I think the dude has the potential to up the intensity for what is a primarily unmotivated team.

9. The Duke

The Duke Member

I do enjoy hearing Dicky V pronounce athletic as ath-a-letic.
    That never gets old

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It sounds like Balkman's very much like Bo Outlaw, who I absolutely loved because no one in the league worked harder than him for so many years. A star? Not in a million years. But a goddam worker bee. One night, still living in Jamaica, I was stoned 7 ways till Sunday, and got locked into a game on TNT or TBS or whatever. Outlaw put up something like 10 points and 15-20 rebounds. They talked to him afterward, and he summed up his game in 3 words:

"It's about desire."

I may have shed a tear. 3-4 years ago, I wish the Lakers would have given Outlaw his final home before retirement.

So it really sounds like Balkman is this type of "It's about desire" player the Knicks desperately need.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

I understand Gray was talkign with the LAkers GM about molding this team in the post-Shaq era, but why does he actually have to ask a) if he regretted trading Shaq since fat man just won a title and b) if Kobe and Shaq could reconcile their differences?

WTF Gray?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, Booboo, time to get a pic-i-nic bas-ket ...

Draft saved Draft deleted