1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A solution for recording phone calls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pamela is Windows-only, though ... and like you said, it doesn't help if you're out at the grocery store when the call comes into your cell phone.

A couple months ago, somebody recommended this thing ...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2141764&cp=&sr=1&origkw=phone+recorder&kw=phone+recorder&parentPage=search

... which you can use about anywhere, including with your cell phone.

And this is still the best thing to use with a landline ...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062697

I don't know about the recorder-control functions, but I can speak directly to how well it works with a phone line (including PBX systems) and just about any voice/tape recorder. I have three or four of these floating around in various attic boxes along with one in my home office.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

here's how the shockster rolls, fwiw -- and all my interviews are phoners:

speakerphone, with minicassette recorder up next to it. remain on handheld cordless while conducting the interview, so interviewee never knows he's on annoying speakerphone.

works out swell for me, except for the pain-in-the-butt transcribing, which sucks.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I use the same thing Bob got from Radio Shack. It works fine.

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Just got Google Voice today. It's free.

Seems like it'd be very useful for you reporter types. It can record calls. I think it transcribes them, too.

Another plus: you can give sources your google voice number. Then set it to forward to your desk when you're at work, your cell when you're away from the desk, etc. When you're off the clock, you can set it to go straight to voicemail (which are transcribed and texted and/or emailed to you). You can even tell it to send all calls straight to voicemail except calls from Big Time coach's cell phone.

5. I use that product and I've been quite happy with its results. It's easy to use, non-obtrusive and the audio quality is good.

You can get details on it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-Recording-Device/dp/B000GU88CQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248175330&sr=8-7

Just my 2 cents worth.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I've been using the speakerphone option with microcassette recording enxt to it for years. More people than ever before are accustomed to using speakerphone feature on their own phones because it's just easier and hands free, easier to converse, so when interview subject hears you interviewing them via speakerphone, they are OK with it.

I would like to learn more, though, about devices/software to transcribe said interviews. When I"m writing books with about 30-50 hours of transcribed interviews, that can be a royal pain transcribing as I'm not a fast typist.

My first piece of advice to budding journalists is actually twofold: Take typing class and learn shorthand. Yes, even in this day and age, shorthand has got to be invaluable when you are on deadline.

7. bob

bob Member

The only problem I have with speakerphone is that when you type, the recorder tends to pick up the sound of the keystrokes. I rarely just sit back and let the recorder do the work, just in case it malfunctions (which has happened to me). So I always want to try to type as I'm listening.

8. Skype, Powergrammo. kthxbye.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I hate speakerphone on private calls, unless you're in the car or something. I think it's rude.

I've got the Olympus TP-7 that guerrilascribe linked to (which is similar to the device that 2mcm linked to), and it's just fantastic. It works even when I'm using the Bluetooth on my cell phone. Picks up both sides of the conversation exceptionally well.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Draft saved Draft deleted