1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A solution for recording phone calls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 17, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

We had a thread here a couple months ago about finding a good solution to record phone interviews, and I found a pretty good one, using Skype and a program called Pamela (there are others, but I like this one.)

Anyway, you can use Skype to make computer-to-computer calls for free, but you can pay $3 a month or $30 a year to get unlimited calls from your computer to landlines or mobile phones in the US and Canada. For a little more (not sure the exact fee), you can get a number to receive calls. It's best to also have a headset when you make calls with Skype.

Then you just have to buy Pamela, which costs $20-30, depending on the version you want. There is also a free version that can only record 15 minutes at a time.

So you're on the call and Pamela records it, with no little beeps or things, onto a mp3 file on your computer.

It doesn't really help if you're out at the grocery store when that call comes into your cell phone, but it's certainly something.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, something. And while the gesture is certainly appreciated by many, including myself ... you can also just put the thing on speakerphone and hit record.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Speakerphone is kind of annoying. I know I hate talking to someone who is on speakphone. Aside from the quality of the sound, you always feel like they are doing something else.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have the solution: A 1996-era GE PROSERIES speakerphone with silent record technology. Pick up the extension and hit "record" when I get an answer.

5. bob

bob Member

For years I've used some recording thingy I got at Radio Shack. Inexpensive and hooks up easily between a recording device and a wired phone.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just today I got an update in the iTunes sore for the recorder program. It records outgoing calls for a small fee ($2/hr), i think because it routes the calls through somewhere else to record them.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Cranking up the volume and holding the recorder between my ear and the speaker has yet to fail me, though I do have extremely long fingers that allow me to pull this off.

I'll look into this, though. Thanks

8. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

This is the best option. Used it for years. Works best with cell phones.

9. share24

share24 Member

I'm sure we're all talking about the same device and it works perfectly.

The best option, at least if you are working from home, is Vonage. Not only do you get free long-distance, but there's a one-click recording option available. The file is saved on your PC and you can listen to it and edit it from there.

10. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

The cell phone volume thing cited by jlee works great with a digital recorder. Just make sure you hit the record button before you answer the call or before the person answers your call if your digital recorder makes a slight noise when you hit record.

There's a Radio Shack device that works awesome with the home phone if you have a shoebox tape recorder. You put your phone line in the device and there are two prongs that fit into the shoebox recorder.

So my question for someone to answer is this: Does Radio Shack offer a similar device for cell phones in which there are two prongs to insert into a shoebox recorder?

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Olympus makes a gizmo that has a combination earpiece/microphone (one side in your year, the other to the phone receiver) and a cord that goes into the microphone section of your recorder.

12. JLawson

JLawson Member

I'll have to go back to Radio Shack. I have one that works on land line phones and was something I picked up from a since retired writer. But I have yet to find something good for my cell phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted